Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my engine rebuild I am looking to go from a 4150 carb to a 1050 dominator carb and a new 4500 intake. I know that a dominator is physically larger so not 100% sure I can make it fit with an air cleaner.

I searched on line for the Dominator dimensions and have not been able to locate any. Can someone please post the rough dimensions (base bottom to top of air cleaner resting surface, and overall length from bowl to bowl)? I realize that it will depend upon the exact model, so only looking for rough numbers so I can compare it to my current 4150.

Thanks

·
Busy being a cunt
30,004 Posts
FYI OP, unless you go to a 16" you won't find a drop base(or maybe I just didn't look that hard :) ) :( The best you will get is a base that just clears the float screws.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I cut holes in the drop base of the air cleaner for the adjustment screw and covered the holes on the inside with tin I formed, tacked then covered seams with epoxy. That was on 4150, not sure where screws will line up with base on domi

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback.

Right now I have a custom scoop and a custom airpan on my 4150 so I am not going to be able to use anything off the shelf with my setup since that was tight to start with. The reason I am asking for the 4500 dimensions is to see if I can squeeze it in in the space. My concern is that the the height inside of the scoop may not allow for a large enough air filter (height wise). I needed to go with an Oval air filter to maximize the filter area given the hood opening size/shape as it is now. I have no problem re-fabbing the air pan/aircleaner base and can do a custom drop, but can only drop so far and I do not want to mess with the scoop. Between the top of the aircleaner lid and the inside of the scoop is .75" space now.

The reason for looking at a 4500 is that I am doing a complete rebuild of the engine now and the new modifications will require a larger carb. The person doing my head work (Duane Busch) recommended going with a 4500 since the 4150 is at its limits.

Below is a pic of the airpan with the 4150 carb and if you look inside of the scop in the 2nd pic you can see the aircleaner so pretty tight.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
There are other options for a 4150 manifold. The 1200 oval blade dry flows about 1220 CFM with annulars. If you are up for some manifold mods BLP has an extreme series, 1050, 1250, and 2.200, requires opening the inside a bit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips on other carb options and I will definitely look at those.

On the Marks Carburetors that were mentioned, I did some searching and are you referring to Mark Whitener? Is there a website link?

I still do also want to at least determine if a dominator will fit. Does anyone have the dominator dimensions (base bottom to top of air cleaner resting surface, and overall length from bowl to bowl)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts