Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Peeing In Your Cheerios
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy an elbow and am considering Wilsons or Edelbrocks. Wilsons is double the price and I cant for the life of me see why.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Aarons stuff is awesome.

But I have too wondered about the Edelbrocks, especially if that divider plate works.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Save your self problems in the long run and buy a Wilson Billet elbow if you are going to have a on fabed elbow. The billet Wilson are the best working and nicest out there that I'v seen over the years.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i cant give you feedback or comparison but i received my billet elbow from wilson last week and its fuckin beautiful ,,,

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
I've run both and others as well. I ran the Edelbrock 3849 last time out and it really seemed to help with distribution. I have a turbo car but I still look at the plugs for signs of detonation regularly. With the Edelbrock I had much more consistent color on the porcelains than with any other. I had a 4150 flange before on my former 8.2" deck combo. My new combo is an 8.7" deck and has a Super Victor modified by Kuntz that opens up the plenum and flange uses a 2" spacer to get from a 4150 to a 4500 flange.

As tall as that will already be, I liked the Edelbrock on my 349" combo well enough that I'm going back with a 4500 flange 3814 Edelbrock elbow on the new combo.

At the end of the day there is NO substitute for the perfectly equal distribution a true equal length runner sheet metal intake can provide (yes, there really is a good reason why they are illegal for a lot of classes). However, if you are like me and can't fork over $3500+ for a sheet metal manifold, I think the Edelbrock elbow helps make a single plane intake as good as you can hope for.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Has anyone tested to see if a 4 barrel TB with an EV hat would have better distribution than an elbow with a monoblade style TB? Im a blowthru guy but I've always wondered about that.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Has anyone tested to see if a 4 barrel TB with an EV hat would have better distribution than an elbow with a monoblade style TB? Im a blowthru guy but I've always wondered about that.
I would like to see some comparison data on that myself. The one thing the single blade throttle bodies have that is hard for a 4 barrel to match is their massive airflow potential. And what seems like a little actually equals a LOT. From the Wilson Manifolds site:

90mm Throttle Body 1170 CFM

95mm Throttle Body 1450 CFM

I would NEVER have guessed that a 5mm difference in TB diameter would make a 280 CFM difference in airflow potential. I don't know for sure, but I would think it would take a massive 4 barrel TB to flow 1450 CFM. The one thing I've never seen done with a 4 barrel TB is to angle the individual bores toward the intake runners, rather than simply dumping all the air in middle of the intake plenum. I'd love to see someone design an 8 barrel TB with the bores aimed right at the runners of a particular intake. Yea, ok, stupid .. maybe.

I've gone from a single 94mm turbo, to twin GT4708's (T6 flange 80mm). I had a 90mm TB before, and I've stepped up to 95mm (Wilson) TB. I think the 90mm could support 2000hp just fine, but my reason for stepping up to the 95mm was to slow down the massive air flow coming from the twins to a level that will allow the plenum area of the single plane intake a chance to do it's distribution job more effectively. I'll let cha know if it works out that way. :-D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Look in the TOBT section about a 3 inch TB setup. First thing I thought of was hell that's only about 75mm, then I opened it and saw 8 of those fuggers on top of that intake. Hell your basically describing an IRTB intake with a plenum box. I think that'd be a cool ass experiment too.

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
do you port the elbows or run them as is?
I ran my last Edelbrock "as cast", but I will be removing all the casting flash polishing the entire interior of the elbow including the divider blade, as well as matching intake flange to Jim Kuntz intake adapter flange. Based on the 3849 elbow (4150 flange), I think "as cast" it's already big enough that it doesn't really need any enlargement, just some smoothing. My 3849 could have used some matching at the intake flange, but I never did it.

Looking into the 3849 through an Accufab 90mm TB:

The intake flange. Could have used some matching:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Can those be used facing in any position? If so wouldnt there be an issue with that divider facing the wrong way ?

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Can those be used facing in any position? If so wouldnt there be an issue with that divider facing the wrong way ?
Yes, I would think it WOULD be a problem if you mounted it sideways, but I don't know that for sure. I can tell you sure that it CAN be mounted in all four directions.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I got mine from Marcella and its a piece of art!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts