Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
T/S 368E
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've been saving up for a 5.3 combination hopefully to be the last engine I ever need.
I tried explaining to a motorcycle guy why I wanted a 5.3 and he didn't even know there was an option for BBC's.

So everything being equal I said bigger bore, bigger flow means more power as you spread out the spacing.

He asked what's the cost & HP difference and I couldn't answer.
4.84 engines are usually much smaller than a 5.3.

So has anyone actually researched this, as in max bore for each with the same arm??
Take a 5.0 crank, best available head and compare the 3 engines with everything else being equal.

I know the 5.3 I want is ~$60,000 from Sonnys and a 5.0 is about the same but smaller with more upgrades.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
5.300 5-5.200 bore Better valvetrain and pushrod geometry, bigger valve, bigger cam can throw a ton of nitrous at it and does not get hurt. 5" 4.65-4.7 bore thinner walls valvetrain is less them optimal. This is my experience.

·
T/S 368E
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I don't want to even mention nitrous, they have no clue, these are dirt bike guys, that want to come watch us race.
I'm trying to explain in terms they use. More air, more power, more bore is better for N/A.
Less shrouding to disrupt velocity.

Yes, I want to get rid of the bottle on my T/S car. I think a basic N/A combination will make it feel less like work.
When that famous team owner died a few years ago from a dropped bottle it really shock me up.
My crew chief had an accident around the same time and got a face full of N2O.

So business has been excellent since PRESIDENT Trump took over, and before the virus, the market was flying high.
So if I have one more good construction season, I can re-retire and race both cars locally full time.

I was hoping someone that has made the jump from 4.84 to 5.0 to 5.3 could explain it better than I tried to.

OH yea, plus having a hemi would freak the frick out of my buddy's!!!

·
Registered
5,090 Posts

4.84 YES you can make power and be fairly reliable, but in today's world, there small motors like 700 inch. They have a respectable $$$ per Hp value. But downside is when your done, will someone want it or what will it be worth?

5.0 seem to be about the same $$$ now as 4.84 stuff, can be a bit bigger and usually have an average of roughly 100Hp more over similar 4.84 stuff. So it has the better Hp per $$$ the 4.84 usually as there is a bunch of nice respectable stuff from guys moving up.

5.3 is pricier then the other 2, but does seem to have better foundation with the block as Sean mentioned plus alot of current tech and can be made bigger.

Now with all that being said, if this is your last engine possibly, just go 5.3 and be done with it. Your getting the current tech, big motor that will be what you're looking for without regrets down the road? Used all the respectable engine are close in pricing. And I don't think there is really much of a cost difference when buying new. Like you said, your doing ok $$$ wise and the more expensive bigger Hp 5.3 will keep that smile on your face long after the the "extra $$$" to build it is forgotten.

Good luck..

·
T/S 368E
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I already have my stuff picked out, I'm just trying to get comparison information for these new friends, helpers.

I'm trying to explain why they are making so many different BS blocks, and all I could come up with was bigger bore makes more power, less shrouding, more air.
I didn't have any price per HP information to give them.

·
T/S 368E
28,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

At least GM was smart enough to keep BBC & SBC the same bellhousing growing up.
That was a huge plus not having to dick around like the Dodge guys did.

Reactions: 247apache

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If it was me. Sonnys hemi 5.300 all the way this mfers are nasty and make huge power and torque. The 55 prostreet car I am doing will have 990" hemi all on motor pump gas. The nice thing is Sonny will work with you on budget and combo never tries to oversell.

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
If it was me. Sonnys hemi 5.300 all the way this mfers are nasty and make huge power and torque. The 55 prostreet car I am doing will have 990" hemi all on motor pump gas. The nice thing is Sonny will work with you on budget and combo never tries to oversell.
Yep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts