Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was going to buy a 1/2 ton gas rig for my new job, but it requires me to have a 3/4 or 1 ton. Have heard from quite a few folks that the diesel particulate filter equipped rigs are far short on fuel mileage compared to those without. That being said I'm probably going to buy a pre DPF equipped truck.

Here's my quandry. I love the 5.9 Cummins Dodge trucks,but have heard the 4 speed auto in them is the weak point. Plus to get any rear seat legroom I'd have to find a mega cab. And mega cabs with 5.9's are difficult to locate. Especially if you want a black, white or silver one.

I have also looked at some of the Chevy/GMC trucks, but don't really like that body style. Would love to have an 07 (new body style) but don't know if any of them came without the DPF system. Anyone know? Also, I don't know of any problems if there are any on the Duramax's....anybody know what those are if they have any?

Of course to get a Ford without a DPF system I'd have to get a 6.0. So, no way in hell is that gong to happen.

So, any of you guys know anything about the Duramax questions I asked?

Oh, and yes I kow you can delete the filter. But, I live in an area with emission testing, so I will have to keep it on there.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You need a 06' Duramax with a LBZ engine. 8th digit of the VIN will be a "D". Best fuel mileage with the least amount of problems!!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
thats what my buddy has and it's a bad ass truck and 20mpg regularly

·
Registered
567 Posts
Best bang for the buck is the 5.9

I have a 04 4door dually and pull everyday. Flush your trans every 20k, change oil and filter, and fuel filter every 5k. 83k miles and going great!
Oh yeah, royal purple 15w40

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You need a 06' Duramax with a LBZ engine. 8th digit of the VIN will be a "D". Best fuel mileage with the least amount of problems!!

Thanks man, that's the kind of info I was lookin for. I don't know a lot about the Duramax's. Way too much about the Fords and a good bit about the Dodge's.

Still gonna be a tough choice, the availability of a used mega cab may be the determining factor.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
my 6.0 has been good to me but they do have issues and you have to stay on top of them but i do love the way it runs and the 5spd trans

·
Registered
304 Posts
don't rule out the fords....if you fix the weak points/basic concerns with the 6.0 nothing can beat it.....and there is always the 7.3...

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheap? Late 90's 7.3l or same yearish 5.9l Cummins with a stick.

Unlimited Budget? 11 Superduty or Duramax

Budget isn't so much of an issue since I have a substantial truck reimbursement, plus they pick up the tab on job related fuel, oil changes, tires and regular maintenance. Just want a reliable unit that can get 20+ mpg empty even if it takes a few mods.

I love the six speed Cummins trucks, but I also have to stick with an auto so my wife can drive it every now and then.

So I'd like to get as new a truck as I can, but like I said...haven't heard good things about any of the trucks with a DPF.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
don't rule out the fords....if you fix the weak points/basic concerns with the 6.0 nothing can beat it.....and there is always the 7.3...

True, but don't want to buy a truck and expect to spend 5000-6000 right off the bat deleting the EGR cooler, replacing the oil cooler,putting head studs and new head gaskets on it. Just so I'll feel comfortable driving it.

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
The 06 duramax is the way to go run from the Fords my buddy has his 6.0 in and out of the shop last 2 months I couldnt handle that b.s....

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey David, if you go with the Dodge I've got plenty of solutions for the transmission. Give me a call in the next day or so and we can discuss it in detail if you like.

g

Thanks Gilbert, I'll give you a call if and when I get back from New York. My return flight leaves Wednesday morning and goes through Chicago. Of course they are expecting blizzard conditions tomorrow, and not much better here in N.Y. so I don't know what my return trip will bring.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
also 07' is a split year. They had old body style with the "D" engine and the new body style with the "6" engine. You want a "D" VIN code engine. I think John Dinkle has a 06.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if maintained all the trans are decent....... hopped up .... they all have there limits... once there built they are all strong

do you need a mega cab? the quad cabs are ok

some of the used trucks are going for crazy money... it might be smarter to get a new one with 0% interest and plan on doing the deletes/ getting tuner..... the dodge 6.7 is a MONSTER after deletes and tuner ( i suggest H&S for the cummins)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 6.0 has earned itself a bad reputation, and it shows up on resale value. If you can pick the 6.0 up for 5 grand less than a Dodge or Chev, you can spend the leftover cash bulletproofing it, and have a hell of a truck. Studs, new oil cooler, egr delete or bulletproof egr cooler, coolant flush and filter, upgraded stc fitting, blue fuel pressure spring, turbo clean, latest flash, and guages, and enjoy a reliable, powerful truck that will pull a mountain down. Some guys that know these engines well are predicting that in a few years there will be people fighting over them as the problems are all resolved, and people want a reliable truck with no DPF or weasel piss.
Love my 6.0...now...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts