Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
598 Coming Soon
19,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice one BP

Thrifty is run by Arco, which is owned by British Petroleum. Calls to BP offices for comment were not returned

GRANDA HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Roughly a dozen cars and trucks were stalled Wednesday at the Thrifty gas station in Granada Hills. That's because the drivers all filled their gas tanks with diesel fuel instead of 87 octane after an apparent mix-up by the drivers of the fuel tankers who delivered the gas.
Now the owners are facing some expensive repairs.
"The cars aren't going very far. I guess there's some up the street. They are all over the place," said George Aball, one of the affected customers.
Cars that are designed to take unleaded gas will stall with diesel in their systems.
The Thrifty parking lot was clogged with dead cars Wednesday. Many of the vehicle owners said the driver of a fuel tanker made the really expensive delivery mistake.
"I walked over to the tanker over there and I asked the guy, 'Hey, what's going on?'" He said, 'I accidentally put diesel fuel in the regular drums,'" said Dennis Kirwan.
The store clerk at the Thrifty store wouldn't confirm the claims and referred to the tanker truck driver for answers. The drivers had no comment.
One customer said she tried to get her stalled car fixed but no one would step up. The gas station told her to talk to the tanker company, but the tanker company told her to fix it herself and seek reimbursements later.
"I'm paycheck to paycheck, I don't even have a credit card to put it on there to get reimbursed," said Renee Ammann.
Kirwan said while people were still filling up with diesel, Thrifty employees said nothing to the customers. They just taped small signs on all the pumps and went back inside.
"The employees are in there hiding out, the owner's hiding out and I'm out here telling people, 'Don't put that gas in your car.' And then I stopped and I thought about it and said, 'Wait a minute, why am I the one telling people not to put fuel in their car because it's diesel?'" said Kirwan.
Customers said that when they went inside to talk to a Thrifty employee, they wouldn't even refund the money for the diesel that was put in their tanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
something similar happened up here a while back. Someone at the refinery screwed up and put some mixture of water and other non fuel fluids into one of the storage tanks. It was delivered to a few stations all on the same day and cars didnt make it more than a block or two. Most of them didn't even make it out of the gas station.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was just there a few days ago buying some diesel.Wow that is going to be a cluster phuck.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
I heard about this yesterday, and thought it was kinda funny, but it's actually pretty serious. BP has basically said, "You pay to fix it and then we'll talk.", with no guarantee of restitution.

·
Registered
31,669 Posts
Diesel in gas will knock hard enough to break things.

AP (this happened in May of 2005)

ConocoPhillips said a heavy polymer accidentally made its way into gas delivered to Union 76 stations and independent stations in Whatcom and Skagit counties.

ConocoPhillips is still investigating how the residue got into its gas. Even though a spokesman said the problem still lies in north Puget Sound, the company wants to do right by its customers.

"Our biggest concern here is we want to do the right thing and we don't want anyone to feel that, ‘I'm not in these two counties, therefore I can't call in,’" he said. "We absolutely want them to call in if they feel they've got any issues."

If repairs are required due to this issue, ConocoPhillips will make payment directly to local authorized dealers.

The average cost to drain the gas and change the fuel injectors in the affected cars is about $600.

ConocoPhillips won't say how many drivers have complained.
Drivers who think they have a bad tank of gas should take their cars to an authorized dealership for inspection or call 1-800-xxx-xxxx for more information.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
I heard about this yesterday, and thought it was kinda funny, but it's actually pretty serious. BP has basically said, "You pay to fix it and then we'll talk.", with no guarantee of restitution.
Yeah, that's fucking their customers for sure. No excuse for that kind of treatment.

-Brad

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Maybe it will be the same for the oil slick in the Gulf.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Had a gas station in my town "switch" some old gas pumps to diesel one time. No labels, didn't change the handles. I noticed after about 10 gallons. I was nice about it, but declared to see a manager. They called a manager that came up to the store late at night, and I made them refund me. They also paid me to tow it home (a very good friend pulled me home), and I made them pay me for my labor to drop the tank and clean it out (50 bucks).

·
Registered
763 Posts
There was a small independent guy here that had this problem a couple of years ago. He stepped right up with the media and the affected customers a turned it into a public relations home run. I almost always stop in there when I'm on that side of town now.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
A buddy filled up his old VW bug with diesel by mistake. He pulled out of the station just billowing the smoke out the pipes,,lol.

He made it about 2-3 blocks before it expired.

Wait till you see someone fill a diesel with high test. it usually tosses the fuel pump right off the motor within seconds/minutes, seizing into a molten lump. Injectors,,gone,,fuel pump,,gone. Broken glowplugs, broken glowplugs pounded into piston tops, ect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts