Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. I have always owned and drove the 5.0 stick, no problems. Three years ago I bought a 4cyl 5 speed, 92Mustang. I have had the worst list of problems with the clutch set up.Over the past 2 years.
It started with a clutch coming apart, you could hear the springs breaking one by one.
We turned the flywheel, put in a new clutch,then the long cable broke, twice. So I put a pro 5.0 shifter and a firewall adjuster, quadrant and new cable. Everything was fine, then it started breaking the little dogbone cables and 2 more long cables.
The front bearing retainer is fine, no burrs.
Just put in a new flywheel, new dogbone cable, pivot arm was turned somehow, straightened re-greased (it had grease), put it all together three weeks ago, petal action was nice light feel, it was great.
Today on my drive home the pedal is getting pretty hard like a king cobra in a 5.0, and kind of sticking, I know one of the cables is going to break again, this is what it does, help Ive had it. I need my car its my daily driver, any input?
Anyone out there had this problem? I didnt know where else to turn for help!

Thanks,
Bluelady

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
...pivot arm was turned somehow, straightened re-greased (it had grease), put it all together
This throws up a red flag and sounds to me like the potential problem. See if you can just get a whole new pivot arm setup by itself or get a whole bellhousing setup from a boneyard. A geometry problem there could certainly cause your cable issues on the large and small cables. Clutch fork could be twisted/bent also. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
since you have checked all the obvious clutch related problems try this. check all the ground connections from the battery to the engine and the chassis. we had a firebird that lost the chassis ground from the engine to the body and it burned up three shifter cables because they were the only ground connection to the body. we did not find this out until the engine spun a bearing. the bearings looked like someone drug a welding rod through them because they were another ground path.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Throw that adjustable cable in the trash - buy an OEM cable - take the rubber off the firewall end of it - get a firewall adjuster - and a triple hook quadrant - that is the only way you'll ever get a smooth clutch pedal - the aftermarket cables are junk

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Throw that adjustable cable in the trash - buy an OEM cable - take the rubber off the firewall end of it - get a firewall adjuster - and a triple hook quadrant - that is the only way you'll ever get a smooth clutch pedal - the aftermarket cables are junk
X2......

·
Registered
206 Posts
x3

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew I could count on my YB family thank you so much for the input!

Last night after my "meltdown" over this car thing, the hubby and I went outside to burn it or see if e could find a culprit. He removed the cable from under dash, basically took it off, it would pull one way and hang up the other. He said hmmm, I never like hmmm LOL. He got out the WD40, that was all we had available, sprayed and sprayed and push/pulled back and forth. He put it back together and presto, back to normal pedal. Moral to my story, Im changing brands of cables.
Wanted to answer you guys.

*Im using an OEM style cable from NAPA. Ford Dealers say Ford doesnt offer that cable anymore its too old.

*I failed to add several new throwout bearings in the process of this mess.

*Havent seen any melted/burned spots on the cables. But we will double check

Again Guys thanks a million! YB Rocks!

Bluelady

1 - 8 of 8 Posts