Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, let me say, great board! I see references to this place everywhere and it's definitely my style as I was banned from NitroDouche several times and finally gave up on those ass kissers a year ago. This place is refreshing to say the least!

Anyway, i've been helping some guys with their tube car. They put a 632 (NA, 2 carbs, ~1250HP) in over the winter, replacing a decent 588. This motor, with the diaper hangs really low. I brought up my worries about it screwing with the lights in December but they didn't care as long as it cleared the ground.

Fast forward to now. Launching at 4800 RPM, relatively soft, he can't win a round. His lights are all over the place when he used to be dead nuts. And the 60 foot seems quick when compared to others in his ET range (7.40s). Their 60's are usually 1.04-1.06. Most guys seems to be around 1.10.

1) What's the easiest way to tell if this is an issue? They're wanting to replace convertors for the third time and slicks for the second. I suggested trying a taller front tire and/or removing the diaper for a few launches.

2) What's the fix if it is an issue. I'm assuming new motor plates would about the only thing you can do. As you can tell, i'm not a chassis guy or anything. I just hang out and help when I can.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
is it a strut car.you can crank up the spring a little.

·
T/S 368E
33,637 Posts

Make it tighter, no hanging straps. Tie wrap, duck tape something & see if the 60' goes back to normal.
You could test without, but that would be the one pass you lose a rod. Ton's of us have the same problem.
Guys are even getting runs thrown out for dragging the diaper.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There really isn't much clearance. It's a strut car and they said the struts were tightened up last race. Wait, that's not the same as raising. Will ask about that. I may mock up staging beams. I know that won't account for launching but it may give a little insight. I guess i'm kinda wondering if anyone agrees that the 60 ft is too fast for that car. It's an ex pro-stocker, decent car. I would think you would want to cross this off the list of shit that can go wrong before you go out and buy new parts. Not these guys and maybe i'm way off base too.

Yea, as far as removing the diaper. I was thinking he could make a few 100 ft launches having one of us in the tower getting the 60's. No full passes (famous last words right?).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts