Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fucking racket. Starting to look for engagement rings. Is there a good place to find out about how to save some money versus just walking into a chain store and getting fucked?

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Tell her to get over it.

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
If you're planning on getting married, this is just the first of many fuckings you'll receive.

BOHICA!

·
Registered
22,777 Posts
What a fucking racket. Starting to look for engagement rings. Is there a good place to find out about how to save some money versus just walking into a chain store and getting fucked?
They usually have a 400% Mark up

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of said woman to she if she deserves diamonds or cubic zirconia...
She definately deserves whatever she wants. Smart and hot, im not posting pics. Getting her Masters degree right now. I know im going to get fucked buying one, just want it to be as little as possible.

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
The big problem with trying to find them cheaper is that if you don't know what your looking at, you can be just as screwed. I, personally, would never buy a retail diamond. There are too many great diamonds on the secondary market. Estate sales and auctions are a great place to find a good value on a diamond if you know what you are looking at. Even if the setting isn't right, you can find a great diamond at a fraction of the price, have it remounted in a setting you choose and still come out a winner. The problem is that once you buy it, it's yours and there will be no returns if you make a mistake. Some will make the mistake of saying a cz is a diamond and you have to be able to tell the difference. Moissanite is often mistaken for a diamond. I guess my best advice is if you find one on the secondary market, see if you can have it examined by a reputable jeweler before you buy it or make sure it's tested with a diamond tester that can differentiate between moissanite and a diamond. With a regular diamond tester that can't differentiate, moissanite will test as a diamond.

·
Jesus Built My Hotrod.
3,975 Posts
The best price we found was Blue Nile. I got a GIA .66 D/VS1/Ideal round in a white gold .35ct halo setting for $3800. Couldn't match that anywhere else. If you pay attention to milimeter measurements on the diamond you can get more for your money, mine faces up like.70 or larger, most people ask if it's a 3/4ct. So, we got a good deal.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
What are you looking for and how much do you want to spend, Wife is a jeweler might be able to help you out.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,105 Posts
Unless you're in LA or New York, you're not going to get much of a deal.

I would see if you can find an independent dealer in San Antonio or Austin.

Its better to inspect a diamond that is unmounted. Try for an E/F color, SI1 or better on the inclusions, you want it to be clear (clarity) and last, size matters. Cut can be what every your want, but a round is typically a engagement diamond.

When you go to look at diamonds, bring a piece of white copier paper to put the diamond on for the color check.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you looking for and how much do you want to spend, Wife is a jeweler might be able to help you out.
Ive seen pictures of what she wants. Round, set by itself in a band that has little diamonds that go all the way around it. I want the diamond to be big, but being set by itself will help with that.

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
I snuck up on an Art Deco platinum 1.5 carat old European Cut solitaire at an auction for $2500. Then a woman I know went to an estate sale and bought a carat one for a dollar. It doesn't happen everday, but they are out there. I don't have much of a market for engagement rings, so I don't buy them often, but every time I have needed to find one, we have been able to find what we needed at a good price. With older jewelry, you tend to get better quality stones and more bang for your buck.

·
PHUCKSTICK
4,662 Posts
Pawn shop diamonds....
Pawn shops generally price their diamonds at 1/2 of the appraised value, and are often open to offers on that price. It's not like buying other stuff at pawn shops, diamonds are billions of years old to begin with, you can't tell they are used....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fucking diamonds are a straight up rip off , plain and simple. I have a
family member in the business, and the mark up is sickening.
And regardless of what you've been led to believe, go try selling one
for anywhere near what you paid, much less the appraisal. They have
been a jeweler's best friend. While Im all for making a profit, it's worse than
building a race car on resale value.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The only time you may actually get a decent offer on a diamond, is if the jeweler is
cornholing you on a bigger one that he's making fat cash on.

·
Registered
18,104 Posts
Diamond exchange if you have one in your area , then take it too the jeweler to have it set . You will save a lot of money , but then again if she really loves you she don't need one ! :p

1 - 20 of 67 Posts