Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any personal experience with Diamond Back Pistols. Saw some at the gun show today, look good and has the feel of a Glock. Just worried about buying a non-name brand gun.

·
Slow Poke
2,060 Posts
Anyone have any personal experience with Diamond Back Pistols. Saw some at the gun show today, look good and has the feel of a Glock. Just worried about buying a non-name brand gun.

I had one for a while, when I first saw them. It shot really accurately and felt really good to shoot. Recoil is about 1/3 that of a keltec or lcp. However, I couldn't get it to quit jamming up. It wouldn't extract shells from the chamber, then it would ram the next one into the back of it. It was a pain to unjam since you had to remove the magazine, rack the slide back to get the live round out, then grab the empty in the chamber and wiggle it out. I talked to the folks there and sent it in twice for tests and work, but it acted up again and again. I sent it back in the third time, and they said it was good to go, but I took it back to where I got it and traded it in with all the paperwork from diamondback. Very nice folks, I just wasn't patient enough to get it ironed out.

I have some keltec p3at's and a kahr p380, so there was no use in messing with it for me.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
I shot 6 of the little .380's a week ago. I'll get the S&W. The Diamondback didn't like certain ammo. None seemed to like any cheap steelcase crap. I would never use it any of my firearms anyways. Like alot of semi-autos, I wonder in a bad grip/limp wristing is part of the problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, so good info there.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The way I look at it is like this: If you've go an explosion going off in your hand,
how can you not have the best quality, name brand product to protect yourself?

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Name brands are developed thru reputation. New brands will sink or swim. I liked the Diamondback pistol better than several other .380's I tried. It was second to the Smith, for ME. Most of the emplyee/shooters at my FFL/range, thought it was a toss-up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I had one for a while, when I first saw them. It shot really accurately and felt really good to shoot. Recoil is about 1/3 that of a keltec or lcp. However, I couldn't get it to quit jamming up. It wouldn't extract shells from the chamber, then it would ram the next one into the back of it. It was a pain to unjam since you had to remove the magazine, rack the slide back to get the live round out, then grab the empty in the chamber and wiggle it out. I talked to the folks there and sent it in twice for tests and work, but it acted up again and again. I sent it back in the third time, and they said it was good to go, but I took it back to where I got it and traded it in with all the paperwork from diamondback. Very nice folks, I just wasn't patient enough to get it ironed out.

I have some keltec p3at's and a kahr p380, so there was no use in messing with it for me.
Sounds like the classic "Double Feed" problem a lot of the 1911's had/have. Drop the mag, rack the slide to eject BOTH the live round and the spent round, reinsert the mag, rack the slide to re-cock and commence shooting again.

I personally don't prefer off brand guns. Parts and accessories are harder to come by and they don't yet have the type of PROVEN service record I'd like to see before I stake my (or any of my loved one's) lives on it.

Oh yeah....
I love my Sig!!!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
This is not a OFF BRAND gun. Diamond Back worked directly with GLOCK to create this piece and it, like many others, had first run issues. They are very responsive and fix them. Their service is compared to Ruger often and they are getting better by the day. Their factory is just down the road from KEL-TEC and directly competes with them.

I have a good buddy that is a L.E.O. He carries one of the DB380's as a backup and it had a feed issue till he sent it back to the factory and had the feed ramp doctored. Shoots everything you can put in it now without issue.

Another positive about the DB380 is the breakdown is exactly like a GLOCK. Familiarity breeds confidence there especially when you see the parts look like miniature versions of a GLOCK.

Just my experience and hope it is helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts