Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we bought a used inclosed with 6 lug dexter axles. I bought complete 12x2 backing plate and brake assembly’s for it this week. Looking at the drums, the surface where the shoes rub looks good to go, no turning nessary. Now the flat spot for the magnet, not so much. It is worn irregularly ID to OD, like an old brake rotor with warn pads.
How important is this surface finish/flatness? I have these nice new brake kits and don’t want to ass up the magnets.
Thanks
Tom

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
I know the magnets are on sort of a swivel so they can adhere flat to the drum if the wear is more on the inner or outer portion of the drum. I would be more worried about smoothness so the magnets don't get eaten up.

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be more worried about smoothness so the magnets don't get eaten up.
Yea, the surface isn’t terrible but they are new mags. I would have no problem with reusing old magnet and old drum.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
Yea, the surface isn’t terrible but they are new mags. I would have no problem with reusing old magnet and old drum.
When I redid mine the first time I towed it I had almost no brakes on the trailer and panicked. Then I found out you have to break in the brakes so to speak. You must seat the new magnets.

Just get on the road and get up to speed and apply the brakes at 70 or 80 setting. I did this for about 10-15 cycles and now they stop at setting 30.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
New magnets on worn drums makes for longer break in time. If the magnets don't seat well, you don't get much braking power. If in doubt, I'd get new drums or get the old ones resurfaced to a smooth finish if they aren't real bad.

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It looks like getting the new drums is the best way to go, being this is going to be ours for a while. When I started this, I figured that I could just buy the shoes and be done with it. Nice try.

By the way, I just looked and these don’t self adjust do they?

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked a friend if he had any way to resurface them, and he did not. I will have to check around tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
It looks like getting the new drums is the best way to go, being this is going to be ours for a while. When I started this, I figured that I could just buy the shoes and be done with it. Nice try.

By the way, I just looked and these don’t self adjust do they?
It's cheap and easier to get loaded assemblies (backing plates, shoes, magnets). Just have to unbolt the old, bolt in the new and wire the magnets.

Also Dexter now has self adjusting brakes. When I put new brakes on my open, I went with the self adjusters. No complainants with 'em.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
417 Posts
This might help.....

Magnets
Magnets should be inspected and replaced if worn unevenly or abnormally. As indicated below a straight edge should be used to check wear.

Even if wear is normal as indicated by your straight edge, the magnets should be replaced if any part of the magnet coil has become visible through the friction material facing of the magnet. It is also recommended that the drum armature surface be refaced when replacing magnets. Magnets should also be replaced in pairs - both sides of an axle.

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone. I am going to try to get them turned this week, if I cant, then it’s new drums. More money! Used to be in the 70's every corner garage had a brake lathe, allmost non-existent any more.

Tom

·
Registered
308 Posts
Find a shop that still turn flywheels its the same process.

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A co-racer/friend works at a large truck garage and did them on a big lathe for me.
Good thing I started this project, one of the linings on the passenger side fell on the ground when the drum was pulled!

·
YB Managing Editor
51,138 Posts
A co-racer/friend works at a large truck garage and did them on a big lathe for me.
Good thing I started this project, one of the linings on the passenger side fell on the ground when the drum was pulled!
Awesome.. Remember to break them in before you go down a mountain. :p

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

·
A Senior Member
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome.. Remember to break them in before you go down a mountain. :p
They will get seated leaving the house, a 200' altitude change in 2000'.

Yea, I better have them right the first time for shure.

Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts