Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering ever since Holley acquired Barry Grant products years ago, has the quality of their carbs improved out of the box? i remember years ago hearing stories of metal shavings being found in float bowls etc., and other major imperfections. im asking because a friend wanted to buy a 750 Mighty Demon with annular boosters for his street car, and he heard about the quality issues. any info is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I know a few carb builders prefer to start with the demon over the Holley.
I love my 1000cfm 4150 race demon. It has beaten many custom carbs on the dyno and track. I can change boosters and go from alcohol to gas in 20minutes. I wish they still made them.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
while we are on this subject,, are the floats directly interchangeable with the Holley floats? or the others for that matter?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had great success with Demon carbs. I have had a bunch and still have 4 now. I think they got a bad name in the beginning with some quality control issues or with people buying them for jegs and summit and ordering a wet flowed 850 " RACE " carb for a street driven 305. Just like a Holley if you take a few mins to adjust them properly they are great.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The Mighty Demons are the same as the old BG ones but I think Holley re-calibrated. I was trying to find some of the small bleeds for my 850 M/D and Holley now uses the big air bleeds like all their other carbs and I noticed the specs on the new ones are different than what I have. I own 3 older Mighty Demons, all work great.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have the old BG 825 race demon with the interchangeable sleeves, great carb. Never an issue.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Just dropped the 850 Mighty Demon on today, runs 10 times better than the QF does. Looks like I have a new on the shelf carburetor.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My carbs I pulled off my dragster when I went to MFI are King Demons. I did the two circuit conversion on them, but they ran great. All the issues I had with them were on the fuel delivery side and my errors, not a fault of the carbs.....still sitting on the shelf too.....not sure I want to part with them...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
My carbs I pulled off my dragster when I went to MFI are King Demons. I did the two circuit conversion on them, but they ran great. All the issues I had with them were on the fuel delivery side and my errors, not a fault of the carbs.....still sitting on the shelf too.....not sure I want to part with them...
I always wanted a King Demon VS carburetor it would be perfect as you can tailor that sucker about any way you want. Could never find one.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Last Sunday i tried my 1090 Demon Dominator vs. my HP 950 I've had on my 472 bbf for years now , The jets in the 1090 are 89-91 and that's how i bought it so i tried it , I'm using the 2'' HVH super sucker adapter on my 4150 victor intake to try the 1090 , It didn't run as good as the 950 does which had a best of 6.12 at 112 mph with a 1.32 60' which was a perfect cool day , the 1090 ran a best of 6.360 with a 1.42 60' at 109.51 mph , I figured the 2'' spacer didn't help on the 60' part at all , I have a new 4500 trick flow intake i bought years ago called the Mafia intake that i wanna try for this weekend and start tuning from there , Any input on jetting for the 1090 ? The engine is a 472'' , diamond flat tops , stock aluminum SCJ heads , flat tappet cam 260-268 @ .050 and 637-648 lift foot braking 2500 rpm with a C6 trans and 3.90 gears , My buddy is urging me to try a trans brake for the first time ever which my trans has , He said that dominator would respond a lot better at say 3800-4200 launch vs. my 2500 footbrake , I have zero experience with a transbrake or a dominator so any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Whether or not the carb will run better on a combo or not is a matter of tuning. It's more than just the jets. Tuning mine involved converting them from three circuit to two circuit, changing the emulsion package, tuning air bleeds, float height, etc...jetting was only one step.....

The dominator can outperform the carb you have, IF its calibrated correctly...but that's not a guarantee it will, either. I did run a two circuit 1150 dominator on a 468" BBC, flat top pistons, hydraulic cam, and single plane intake...throttle response was incredible, and engine screamed! A 750 DP was slower everywhere over the dominator.......

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Whether or not the carb will run better on a combo or not is a matter of tuning. It's more than just the jets. Tuning mine involved converting them from three circuit to two circuit, changing the emulsion package, tuning air bleeds, float height, etc...jetting was only one step.....

The dominator can outperform the carb you have, IF its calibrated correctly...but that's not a guarantee it will, either. I did run a two circuit 1150 dominator on a 468" BBC, flat top pistons, hydraulic cam, and single plane intake...throttle response was incredible, and engine screamed! A 750 DP was slower everywhere over the dominator.......
Wow, I have one of those 1150's. Did you run a Dominator 4500 Intake or the 4150 and an adapter? Details on that combo would be great if you care to share.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Wow, I have one of those 1150's. Did you run a Dominator 4500 Intake or the 4150 and an adapter? Details on that combo would be great if you care to share.

It was on an adapter, the manifold was for a 4150. A buddy gave me the car, and old dragster. Engine was just a cammed .060" over 454. Nothing fancy. He gave me the carb too. The one that was on it ran good, but just seemed to kinda hit a wall I guess. The 1150 was in good shape, but needed some tlc, and since I had it, an adapter and carb kit was cheap, so that's what I did. This was just a 10 second engine in a dragster in Denver, Co, so it's nothing fancy, but the dominator ran way better, throttle response was better, and it responded better to tuning. I thought it would be WAY too much carb for that engine, but that wasn't the case....

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It was on an adapter, the manifold was for a 4150. A buddy gave me the car, and old dragster. Engine was just a cammed .060" over 454. Nothing fancy. He gave me the carb too. The one that was on it ran good, but just seemed to kinda hit a wall I guess. The 1150 was in good shape, but needed some tlc, and since I had it, an adapter and carb kit was cheap, so that's what I did. This was just a 10 second engine in a dragster in Denver, Co, so it's nothing fancy, but the dominator ran way better, throttle response was better, and it responded better to tuning. I thought it would be WAY too much carb for that engine, but that wasn't the case....
Pretty impressive with a flat top piston 454. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Finding the 6/32 thread air bleeds local has been a pain , Does anybody tap them to use the 10/32 ? Also i looked at the Brawler bleeds and they're 6/32 but sit don't sit flush are they a good choice ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts