Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I have read.... delvac is just as good but also has better cold weather manners and doesnt have a stinky break in time. I use Delvac 1 and its cheaper than Rotella around my area.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I can tell you that I own and drive my own 18 wheeler. Before the big change in emission equipment on big trucks all oils were pretty competitive. After the change, Rotella was the only one that didn't have to change their formula. It's that good!

·
On the roller...
15,881 Posts
I've always used Rotella, but I'm considering a change to Delvac 1 this next change (~400mi) in my Powerstroke. What are your applications? I'm interested in seeing if this truck actually does do better in this weather. Are they offering the idea that it'll cold start better and have better idle quality cold or just claiming it'll lube better when cold?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
69 nova, 357 chevy, voodoo cam, stock heads for now, dome pistons, i believe its about 10:1 compression right now possibly a little more

·
Registered
162 Posts
Delvac. I was a firm believer in rotella forever, rotella has taken the ash and other additives out of their oil that made it so good. You can change the oil in a diesel with rotella and in a week you pull the stick and it will be black as the old oil you changed. Delvac looks clean for months. Plus it is cheaper now. But thats just my experience with it. I have changed all my farm equipment, trucks and everything to delvac.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my great grandfather operated heavy machinery and swore by it and so has my grandfather and my dad. I just didnt know how it compared to all the new things coming out

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
everybody has taken the additives out of their oil, its not just rotella, to comply with the newer CJ$ standards.

use a ZDDP additive unless your buying an oil "not for street use" that still have all the zinc and phosphorus in it.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
646 Posts
The only reason it has all the good stuff still in it it the title:
High Performance Diesel Engine Oil

Otherwise all oils define for normal consumption in normal vehicles have had all the 'good' stuff removed.

When I seen this post it caught my eye, at ambulance service where I work they did a three way study using Delvac (I wanna say 300), Rotella, and Motorcraft Gold cap. Our ambulances idle all day, they are only shut off to be restocked and washed, average around 500 miles in 24 hours. The study came about due to some injector failures in the Fords we had, due to the break-down of oil, parifin in the oil, bleeding past some o-rings into the injectors.

Anyway the Motorcraft and Rotella had less issues, and they have since went to a higher grade of Delvac. For the record the oil, filter, and fuel filters are changed about once a month.

The High Performance title is no different than the Racing Formula designator on Valvoline that allows it to retain its ZDDP. I run the Rotella in my SBC flat tappet driver.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts