Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running in superpro or box class with a street car? I have a 02 camaro that i've been footbreaking, thought about either putting a powerglide with a brake or dual linelocks and using a co2 throttle stop instead of a 2 step where i could stage with the gas pedal to the floor. This car has a carb and is not fuel injected anyore. any help would be appreciated. thanks jeff

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same, and talked to a guy who had done it before with 4-wheel line locks. He said it was MUCH less consistent on the tree than a trans brake. He had figured out one source of inconsistency was the brake pressure when staged, and suggested using a brake pressure gauge if I tried it.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
back before i stepped up and put a TB in my car i used a 4wheel line lock with a delay box. had to use a soft touch rev limiter with an adjustable chip some guy made for me. kept it limited to 1800 rpm in order for the line locks to hold the car still in the beams. had a ball cap full of perfect lite pins!!! if u do it rite its very consistent. my biggest problem was about every 15 or 20 runs it would come off the limiter and blow a big freakin flame out the freakin hood scoop!!!LOL. but it probably wasn't related to the electronics in the car but probably due to the stock hei. dist. and wires on the motor changed to a MSD and never had that happen again. got a whole different combo in the car now(motor,TB,big tire,etc). but to answer the question if i had to do it all over again i would..

·
"Big Al" Sargent
7,472 Posts
I ran dual line locks (Hurst brand) on a Nova with a Biondo throttle control in conjunction with a Dedenbear delay box and it worked great. I didn't worry about the brake pressure deal, just staged, pressed the button and give the brake pedal one good pump. One tip is to set idle at 1200 to 1400 rpm. I set the throttle control needle valve in the middle of the adjustment range, to slow the throttle opening rate and make 60' times consistent. I ran on the slow end of Super Pro bracket (7.86 in the 1/8th). The car would, usually, run 7.865 to 7.868 and the 60' stayed at 1.699 most of the time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
back before i stepped up and put a TB in my car i used a 4wheel line lock with a delay box. had to use a soft touch rev limiter with an adjustable chip some guy made for me. kept it limited to 1800 rpm in order for the line locks to hold the car still in the beams. had a ball cap full of perfect lite pins!!! if u do it rite its very consistent. my biggest problem was about every 15 or 20 runs it would come off the limiter and blow a big freakin flame out the freakin hood scoop!!!LOL. but it probably wasn't related to the electronics in the car but probably due to the stock hei. dist. and wires on the motor changed to a MSD and never had that happen again. got a whole different combo in the car now(motor,TB,big tire,etc). but to answer the question if i had to do it all over again i would..
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran dual line locks (Hurst brand) on a Nova with a Biondo throttle control in conjunction with a Dedenbear delay box and it worked great. I didn't worry about the brake pressure deal, just staged, pressed the button and give the brake pedal one good pump. One tip is to set idle at 1200 to 1400 rpm. I set the throttle control needle valve in the middle of the adjustment range, to slow the throttle opening rate and make 60' times consistent. I ran on the slow end of Super Pro bracket (7.86 in the 1/8th). The car would, usually, run 7.865 to 7.868 and the 60' stayed at 1.699 most of the time.
Thanks for the info!

·
Bracket racer
13,290 Posts
Lots of good info here, I'll have to keep this thread in mind if I ever decide to do this someday.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
i've been kicking around using a throttle enhancer (throttle stop deal) on my model a....i like the idea of being able to stage the car at the normal rpm i usually leave at , but can run a box and leave off the top bulb for box class. figure its easier on the motor than to sit at 1800 or so bangin on the 2 step.

side note....a bunch of years back , didn't b&m offer a single line lock with 2 seperate channels to lock up all 4 wheels ? would have been early to mid 90's...?

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I tried using the dual line locks years ago and just never could get them to hold consistently. I'm sure it had a lot to do with brake pressure as stated above but I just put a transbrake in and called it good.
I do think another good option though would be the one that pnuematically controls the throttle linkage and when you stage and mash the button the pedal drops to the floor and then opens the throttle when the box let's it go. I have no experience with this type though..... but it seems the line locks may be able to work just fine using this setup.

·
Registered
15,337 Posts
I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers, nor am I trying to be a wise guy, but why not simply try and footbrake your street car in Top?

I've done it with some small degree of success. I know, levels of competition are different anywhere you go. I also know that even suggesting this will probably open a flood gate of ridicule. Such is life. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
I'm really not trying to ruffle any feathers, nor am I trying to be a wise guy, but why not simply try and footbrake your street car in Top?

I've done it with some small degree of success. I know, levels of competition are different anywhere you go. I also know that even suggesting this will probably open a flood gate of ridicule. Such is life. Take care. Tom Worthington.

nothing wrong with ....done it a couple times. would rather footbrake my ride , but was thinking of messing with the box guys some......more in the way of the throttle stop/enhancer aspects ....and running a box. still waiting to see if they are going to throw a et limit on the class.....otherwise , i want to slow the ride down..........;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Every week I run Super Pro in the Chevelle. I drive it there, open the exhaust, bolt on the slicks and raise the idle to about 1500 rpms. My car is setup with dual line locks, and delay box. I use a 2 step and sit on the line at about 2700 rpms. I raise the idle so that I can just bump the car into the lights as shallow as possible. I have done this for about the past 8 seasons, and the amount of money that has been won with this car has far more than paid for the car.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Every week I run Super Pro in the Chevelle. I drive it there, open the exhaust, bolt on the slicks and raise the idle to about 1500 rpms. My car is setup with dual line locks, and delay box. I use a 2 step and sit on the line at about 2700 rpms. I raise the idle so that I can just bump the car into the lights as shallow as possible. I have done this for about the past 8 seasons, and the amount of money that has been won with this car has far more than paid for the car.
probley could have stepped up and bought a trans break! but why fix something that is working for u? the only reason i went with a trans break is i wanted to pick up and go a couple seconds faster.it def. took more than a TB to make that happen!lol!.but its neat to see some one doing it the way i used too! it does work ...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I could have bought a trans brake, but it's literally a street car. A money making street car. If I start hitting it with a brake, then I have issues out back (axles, etc), plus wear and tear on my trans. This car is all about reliability, consistency, and low maintenance. I'm a bracket racer, I literally run the slowest car in super pro at our tracks, I never spin the tires, and this car runs the same number, pass after pass. Last season I did some racing in a low 9 second car, and an 8 flat dragster and I was bit hard by the need for speed. So instead of screwing with the Chevelle, I am now building a Nova to go fast. It's getting a spool, axles, 9 in, trans brake, full cage, blah blah.

But the dual line lock/delay box can be extremely reliable setup, it's done extremely well for me. It's kind of old school, but it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts