Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinions. Some say yes and some say no.
I would like to know if it is possible to benefit from a
delay box on a .400 pro tree. Just a thought couldnt
you use one when staged on the 2nd yellow just like
on the first amber of a regular tree for bracket racing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Having a delay box is indeed a benefit on a Pro Tree...if class rules allow it and if you are going red consistently. Virtually every single Super Comp, Super Gas, and Super Street car uses one. Transmissions, trans-brakes, converters, and tires have gotten so good that it is normal to see .010 to .060 seconds of delay for the .400 Tree. Add a tenth to that if you are running the .500 tree.

Since 99.9% of all Trees cycle the ambers at random intervals, there is no logical way to release the buttom once the last Staged bulb is lit. You still have to react to the amber bulbs.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The main question is can you redlight without it. Too many people think it makes your lights better. It plain can't on a Pro Tree. Its just an insurance policy to try to keep from going red. On a Full Tree it can help with the consistency (in a way helping your lights), and keep from red.

Nothing can help you from having a BAD light except the loose nut behind the wheel. Other wise they'd call it a RT Speed Up box, not a delay box. ;)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Do you understand what a delay box does?

·
T/S 368E
30,062 Posts
Do you understand what a delay box does?

You can definitely use it for a pro tree, gives you 2 hits
and the delay needed if you are quick enough to red light on a .400 tree.

You just can't use it off the stage lights, hopefully you're not explaining it right??

·
Registered
572 Posts
The main question is can you redlight without it. Too many people think it makes your lights better. It plain can't on a Pro Tree. Its just an insurance policy to try to keep from going red. On a Full Tree it can help with the consistency (in a way helping your lights), and keep from red.

Nothing can help you from having a BAD light except the loose nut behind the wheel. Other wise they'd call it a RT Speed Up box, not a delay box. ;)
x2.....only benificial on a full tree.
.500 pro tree maybe.......400 pro tree, no-way.

·
Registered
846 Posts
as long as your combination can go red than its benificial... For top bulb racing it is a great help tho more consistant of the top bulb

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
You can definitely use it for a pro tree, gives you 2 hits
and the delay needed if you are quick enough to red light on a .400 tree.

You just can't use it off the stage lights, hopefully you're not explaining it right??

Should expound that only a cross over delay will give you two hits, and only if it's not heads up, and you can see both sides of the tree.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
x2.....only benificial on a full tree.
.500 pro tree maybe.......400 pro tree, no-way.
I didn't quite say that. On a Pro Tree w/ no delay box in OL 10.5, I have to hesitate slightly or I will go red. I would rather be using a delay box, but of course its use isn't allowed.

·
T/S 368E
30,062 Posts

You're right WJ,
for me I run T/S & quick 8 stuff. T/S is dial in full tree, 2 hits and need the delay.
Quick 8 is dial in and pro tree, so I really don't need the delay, but I get 2 hits.

I'm old & blind, so I don't need the delay on a pro tree. I do know a lot of guys that do,
even in full bodied cars, and a ton in S/C dragsters. Hell 99% of the guys in S/C have one.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. What I was reffering to on
the stage bulbs is that can you agtivate your delay
box off the second stage bulb providing the tree
is on a timer to activate the same each time. I
hope that I am explaining this right. For example
would a delay box be beneficial on index racing
on a 400 pro tree. The reason I am asking this
is I coordinate some index racing at a local track
and dont allow delay boxes for this. However
another track allows them and the reaction
times of those cars seem to be a lot better.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Thanks for the comments. What I was reffering to on
the stage bulbs is that can you agtivate your delay
box off the second stage bulb providing the tree
is on a timer to activate the same each time. I
hope that I am explaining this right. For example
would a delay box be beneficial on index racing
on a 400 pro tree. The reason I am asking this
is I coordinate some index racing at a local track
and dont allow delay boxes for this. However
another track allows them and the reaction
times of those cars seem to be a lot better.
It's illegal to use delay boxes that work off of the staging bulbs, or optical sensors.

If it's a standard NHRA style tree, it's not a fixed time if hand operated, nor it a fixed time on auto start. It's done that way to prevent what you're implying to do.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I didn't quite say that. On a Pro Tree w/ no delay box in OL 10.5, I have to hesitate slightly or I will go red. I would rather be using a delay box, but of course its use isn't allowed.
i know what you said, just adding my opinion....
i stage shallow as possible, 1.20's 60ft, leave at first hint of yellow & usually i'm around .040's. i can see faster cars or dragsters might benifit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
What WJ said is correct,the bulbs come down at random times to prevent you from using the box as you described it.You would just use it to prevent yourself from going red.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
The bulbs start at a random time. There is the same amount of time between bulbs once the tree is activated each run.Ya shoulda raced when he had five bulbs to deal with....lol Play with it and do what works best for you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Box has been around for 25+ years and we're still having this discussion! The modern delay box has evolved into a multi function unit complete with timers and other functions, but the DELAY mode delays rt, nothing less, nothing more. It amazes me how many promoters, especially index racing, don't allow the box thinking it has magical powers of some kind. They would improve their car count immediately if the box was legal... but as it is, they lose all of the S/G & S/St cars because as stated before, 99% of the competitive cars have 'em and don't want to rewire or remove the box for an occasional index race. That, and the fact that many have shock timers, etc. activated by the box. Those folks that don't believe a door car can redlite on a .400 pro tree need to do a little better research.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
They are nuts if ya dont think you can go red on a .400 tree in a door car. Have had the box set at.0000 and have gone red pretty much at will. Guess no one has ever seen a S/G car go red.....lol

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
On a pro tree if you a little early make adjustments to the car. Find a transbrake button that's slower or has more travel, it's very difficult to mentally delay once you see the light. On a .5 tree it helps fast reacting cars slow down. If your inconsistent leaving the line it will hurt more than help but if you can be consistent leaving it will make you better and better.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Wanna confuse them more tell them what an NHRA National Event tree is...lets just say it is NOT a .400 tree.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts