Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems everyone these days has a handicapped tag and has "special" parking. Most of the people you see geting out of their cars and walking into stores get around just as well as anyone. The people who are truely disabled and wheelchair bound are the ones who deserve these parking spots.

·
Bracket racer
5,194 Posts
Amen. Went to Disney 2 months ago. Too many "handicapped" people in then damn scooters running around everywhere. They get to go right on the bus to get to the park while I wait in line for 3 buses to get on one. All there family gets to go on first too.

I fully agree if your wheel chair bound your handicapped. If you broke your leg skiing park out in the boonies like the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Don't get me started on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me neither. I place this in the same category as disability. I know a few people who got out of the military 50% disability, and they work 60 hour weeks at 100%.

·
Registered
628 Posts
In order to get a disabled tag of any sort (whether it be plates or a mirror tag) it has to be signed off by a doctor.
There is where the problem is. 9 times out of 10 the doctors don't care and just sign away for anyone. As wrong as that sounds, it is very true.

Every 4 years it is required by DMV that a "re-evaluation" needs to be submitted. Which pretty much just means you need to fill out another application with a doctors signature stating that these PRIVILEGES are still required.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
I have stated it before, I have a placard and I use it. I have had several strokes which has left me with some muscle atrophy, slight paralisys and very decreased stamina. I do not "look" handicapped, but, I can assure you by the time I go in a store and get what I need I am wore out. I do not use the scooters, let the ones that are worse off than I am use them. I too hate the people that abuse the placards and use them to get to the front, see several do it on a daily basis and guess I am more aware of it since having the strokes

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Nothing I hate more when failure to control eating is a handicap!!!FAT PEOPLE SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The fact is you CANNOT tell by looking at someone if they have a disibility or not. Are their fakes, sure. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some days I can barely walk. If you see me standing you might think I was a faker. BTW I do not use a placard. I could but chose to leave those spots for people that are worse off. Some Dr's give way to many of those f'ers out IMHO

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Here's one for you-

Ten years ago, I am shopping at the Harbor Freight store in Yuma AZ. I purchase an anvil and some other heavy crap and push my cart out the front door. I decided to bring my car up to the door rather than push this heavy wobbling cart out to my car.

So I back my car into one of the three empty handicapped spaces and begin to transfer items from cart to car.

A guy on a Harley Sportster cruises up, pauses, and gives me a dirty look. He then parks his bike out in a regular space. As I am putting my cart away he walks up and tells me that the handicapped spaces are for handicapped people like him. I look him up and down and see no disability. I say “Sorry man, didn't know you needed this space.”. He mutters some profanity and goes into the store.

Not believing he is handicapped, I drive over to see his bike. It is a standard bike with no special equipment. Sure enough, it has an AZ motorcycle tag with a big wheelchair symbol on the left side. Confused, I get out of my car to have a closer look. It is a real plate and the wheelchair graphic is stamped into the metal just like the numbers. WTF!

I have no problem with bikers or handicapped folks, but I feel that if you can safely handle a 700 pound bike, you should be able to park in a regular space and make it to the store OK. There should be no need for a permanent handicapped MC tag.

Rant over.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I have an adult son who was head injured when he was 19, (motorcycle accident) he is the same as a stroke victim now. Handicap walking, not good use of his left side. When he's with we use the handicap card. It pisses me off to see the abuse of handicap parking, we do not use card when he is not with. He'll be 45 in May, still lives with us. We have to get him re-evaluated to renew card, which in his case is just wrong. He will never get better. But they have to draw the line somewhere. I just wish the police would enforce the parking abuse in handicap spots.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Up until 2003 I never seen the need for handicap parking spots at military mess halls. Not any more.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
well i have some shit called rsd can not walk without a cane i see all kinds park get out and walk on like nothing is wrong
fucking sucks

·
Dr. Greenthumb
2,659 Posts
This is one of those WAY too abused deals. I usually dont judge just because I see them walking though. I know some people that can walk fine. They just cant walk very far before they get out of breath or something like that. There are other things that can not work other than your legs that make it where you cant walk far. There's a ton of abusers though that give the rest a bad rap.

·
Registered
551 Posts
This is one of those WAY too abused deals. I usually dont judge just because I see them walking though. I know some people that can walk fine. They just cant walk very far before they get out of breath or something like that. There are other things that can not work other than your legs that make it where you cant walk far. There's a ton of abusers though that give the rest a bad rap.
Youre 100% right about judging people. My dad had a sticker in his car. He had 5 heart attacks and he was 92 when he passed. He could walk but not far. Ive been on disability for over 2 years. Multiple disc herniations through my whole back. I had to stop doing just about everything I ever enjoyed including work. I dont have a sticker yet. I try to park far out in the lots and walk just because I dont want to fuckin give up. But I will admit there are days that theres ice and snow on the ground and Im scared shitless that Im going to fall and wind up in a wheelchair. Yeah I could stay in my house for the whole winter but to tell you the truth I dont think I could do that. You gotta keep on living.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
My wife has two bad knees from a car accident, but she too young for knee replacement surgery. She has a handicap tag, but does not look it.

·
CFH
2,879 Posts
My dad was shot in the back with a .357 when he was 21, it broke his back and he spent 2 years in the hospital. He was just barely able to walk after getting out. He also worked construction all his life. In the last 7 years he started having to use a cane to get around and in the last 2 years he has had to use 2 canes and can only go maybe 10 steps before he has to sit down. He got a handicap plate last year at the age of 65.

He never thought of himself as being hadicapped, and I always remember seeing people that could walk just fine parking up front, while we had to find the closest spot we could and I had to help him get into the store.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts