Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this conversation about a local friend who passed away at a early age last week with my father as I was tearing the engine out. My question to him was….. In the event something ever happened to me what would you do with my stuff? I of course would expect him to sell it off but how would he value the stuff money wise.

Only being 34 no one ever expects to die that young but strange things always happen and NO I am not going to do anything stupid. I suppose a “will” would not be a bad idea to lessen the strain on others in the event of a un timely death but it made me want to go one step further.

Take the car for example. I am the only one that really knows what is in it and how to operate it. So why not give directions with part details and wiring diagrams. Atleast then an out side appraiser could then determine what is on the inside with out tearing it all apart. As well with what I thought it might of been worth. Even the spare parts that laying around.

Same thing for all bank accounts, credit cards, 401k, insurance and friends to contact.

Sorry if all this sounds dumb but after the passing of a close friend last week it made me open my eyes a little.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I keep a log on everything, so incase something happens to me, my wife or family would know what to do with it. I have many hobbies, and they have no idea what things are worth. For example, the ATVs that I ride are not worth much with stock engine parts due to being known that stock bearings will fail. So even in running condition, one with unknown parts will bring about a grand. With known good parts, the value triples.

Same thing with cars, antique tractors I have, etc.

I also have all of my firearms listed, and who they should go to for sentimental value and what the others should be sold for.

I update everything once a year but should more often since I am bad about swapping stuff off. BTW, I am only 29. I have been keeping this list since I got married at 25.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Preparations for death is something we ALL want to avoid dealing with, but those preparations will make it alot easier on our families when the time comes. I recently had to deal with all this with the passing of my Mom. She had chronic heart and lung disease for 5 years before she passed and when I would try and talk to her about this subject she would put it off or change the subject entirely. Facing ones own mortality has to be very hard when you know youre dying, so when she did pass I was faced with having to do everything, as I am an only child. I should have done what needed to be done long before she passed myself, but again I refused to give up hope also. Me and my wife have discussed my wishes if I pass and I hope to make more finalized arrangements to make it easier for her in the future.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Preparations for death is something we ALL want to avoid dealing with, but those preparations will make it alot easier on our families when the time comes. I recently had to deal with all this with the passing of my Mom. She had chronic heart and lung disease for 5 years before she passed and when I would try and talk to her about this subject she would put it off or change the subject entirely. Facing ones own mortality has to be very hard when you know youre dying, so when she did pass I was faced with having to do everything, as I am an only child. I should have done what needed to be done long before she passed myself, but again I refused to give up hope also. Me and my wife have discussed my wishes if I pass and I hope to make more finalized arrangements to make it easier for her in the future.
I too recently lost my mother Oct 2009 she passed away from a sudden heart attack. I too am an only child and I can say even with a will it can be long process. Fortunately my mother was smart to put me on all of her bank and stock accounts. The one thing we did not do was have a quit claim deed on her home. With no one to contest the will it has cost me close $3000.00 to get my name on the deed of a home that she left me. And more than six months later is still going on. I have found that at least in Michigan a will does not do much.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
good post.. i have so much junk that i dont think my wife would no were to begin..but if she ever got hooked back up with another guy.... it would be a great selling point for her:confused::smt118

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Everything goes to my lil brother but he dont have the love that i do
for the sport he likes it just not a wrench so he prob sell it off

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
I'm leaving everything to my ex-wife. She's the only one who ever gave a shit about me. Everyone else only calls when they want something. She actually took me out for my birthday and bought me a steak dinner. Calls from "friends" = 0. Cards from "friends" = 0.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
If all goes good I'll leave it to my Son. If it goes bad I'll sell everything party till dawn, pack as much gas as I can into the ol chevy and find a big ass tree!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm leaving everything to my ex-wife. She's the only one who ever gave a shit about me. Everyone else only calls when they want something. She actually took me out for my birthday and bought me a steak dinner. Calls from "friends" = 0. Cards from "friends" = 0.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.!!!!:p Now can i have all of your shit when you die.? LOL

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I have a terminal illness, ALS, and I was told I should be in the grave 2 years ago so I'VE had a few years to plan...lol. Make a video tape of "your stuff" and describe it and then desinate it to a place or person. Update it as you go, make copies and let family know that these tapes exist.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
almost no one will have the same feelings for the things you have and things you do..
the majority will be sold off..just accept that fact..
the best thing you can do is make a "list" of what goes to who..

in your Will you can reference "the list"..have it notorized and signed..that way if you need to change
something or add something to the list..it's easier to just change "the list" instead of your whole will..

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
id make sure that at least someone knows what you have... if you have life insurance, accounts or whatever.... id make sure one person knows what to look for if you do happen to pass away, just so your family can get all they can and the bank or insurance co doesnt end up richer. its not like when you die, those places try and track people down to hand out money.

·
Registered
654 Posts
This is a great topic as I have been thinking about the same thing recently. At the very least everyone needs a will, even if it is from an online source like legalzoom. I also like the idea of a video detailing all of your stuff. I also have 1 friend who I trust with my life, and I will have him listed on my list as a consultant, so that if there are any questions, they could contact him to help out with any race parts. Also on my list I will have a couple of names and numbers for used parts guys like Mike Cavalerri, and Donnie Holbrook, etc, who would be interested in buying some of my old parts, etc. Anything to help out the people who will be left to deal with my stuff. Also I will have the current list of parts on the uncompleted projects that I have, so that they would know what parts are for what car, and how complete each car is, within reason, so that if something happened to me next week, there would not be any questions, (or as few as possible), about the car that I am working on now. Now I just have to leave myself a reminder to update it evry 6 months or so.
Brian

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I told my wife,guns go to one of our sons,the other two are drug addicts,my anglia goes to Willie(my buddy helping me put this deal together.)I also told her to give him the money needed to finish the car,(out of life insurance money).He could either keep it,or sell it,and split the money with my wife.The rest of my shit doesn,t amount to much,so there wouldn't be any fighting over it

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
I told my fiancee to just find another guy who likes cars, motorcyclces, and guns. I'd be dead, so why would I give a fuck?:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts