Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Previously Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this? Guy's parents next door to me both died within about 6 months. Super nice older couple and family in general. I offered to the son that I would like to buy his mom's old SUV that was sitting in the driveway. He agreed but during the cleaning out of the house never found the title to it. The "inheritance" was passed down equally I presume to him and his sister. His sister has early onset dementia (lives across the street) and will need to go to some type of assisted living eventually. He is going to use the money I give him to contribute to her well being. She is capable of signing off on whatever we need. How does he get a title so I can buy the truck from him?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Go to DMV and get an application for a duplicate title. Have the neighbor fill it out and send it in. Easy stuff.

He will have a title in a few weeks. Here in the NY area they cost about 10 bucks IIRC

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
He's going to have to get a duplicate title, so that there is an actual physical title in hand. He'll then have to have the title signed off by whoever has power of attorney over the estate. It's just that easy.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,533 Posts
He's going to have to get a duplicate title, so that there is an actual physical title in hand. He'll then have to have the title signed off by whoever has power of attorney over the estate. It's just that easy.
That's what I meant, not executor...., yeah, what he said ^^^^^^^

·
Previously Banned
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do you apply for a duplicate title when you aren't the one that owns it is what has me baffled.

Doesn't own it per the title, I assume it was last registered to the deceased father.

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
How do you apply for a duplicate title when you aren't the one that owns it is what has me baffled.

Doesn't own it per the title, I assume it was last registered to the deceased father.
He will has to have a copy of the death certificates.

·
Registered
29,943 Posts
All you need is the death cert, the serial number and the executors letter.

In other words the executor has to take care of it, then sell it.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Here in N.Y. If you are the actual person or can pull off pretending to be,you can call up on the phone with the vin and your license number and social and they will fed ex it to you in 2 days for like 30 bucks.

·
e85 & injection guru
5,391 Posts
copy of death certificate and what ever gives him power of attorney.
the tag place or dmv will walk it through ..if they were making payments the bank has it .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Fyi, power of attorney generally dissolves at death unless it's written as a right of sepulcher (most people don't know that). The estate has to be probated unless it was in a trust (in which case it automatically transfers at death) whereas a will or non-setup estate (nothing setup before hand) has to be executed via the judge (probate court). This is how it works in missouri at least but some states vary...anyway, as someone said, legally the appointed executor will have to do the paperwork...but, if he can find the title he could simply sign/back date and say his parents signed off on it (assuming he's the executor and doesn't turn it in on the estate as an assett).

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
As others have said, the local DMV (or, if they are idiots, a not uncommon event, the State DMV headquarters) can walk him through the process. This situation is common as dirt, it happens all the time, so there shouldn't be any surprises- just takes time to work through it. My condolences to your neighbor- sounds like a tough road still ahead for him.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts