Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the differance if any on dead heading a regulator vs not? Motor is a sbc 383 11.2:1 950 HP around 475hp.Using -8 line all the to the carb,fuel pump is a mech Holly 130gph.

Thanx for any help

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
A dead headed regulator only lets what ever you have it set at try to keep the bowl fuel of fuel a by-passing system lets the max out put of the pump volume and pressure keep it full till it shuts off and is regulated then. If you want 7.5 lbs at a idle dead head as soon as the float drops the pressure after the regulator is no longer 7.5 lbs its less, restriction = pressure,float drops, needle drops no restriction no pressure

·
Big Block Killer
1,011 Posts
A dead headed regulator only lets what ever you have it set at try to keep the bowl fuel of fuel a by-passing system lets the max out put of the pump volume and pressure keep it full till it shuts off and is regulated then. If you want 7.5 lbs at a idle dead head as soon as the float drops the pressure after the regulator is no longer 7.5 lbs its less, restriction = pressure,float drops, needle drops no restriction no pressure
Excuse me if I'm having a blonde moment but I don't follow what you're saying.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Take the fuel regulator off the carb, and run it into a bucket with your dead head regulator, and time how long it takes to fill it, this will simulate your dead head system.

Now take the regulator off, and see how long it takes to fill it, this will simulate a return by-pass system.

Why get a big pump and then regulate it down to 7.5 pounds and low volume getting past the regulator. It does not matter how big a pump you have on a dead head system, it will only let what the regulator is set at go by.

OK say the incoming fuel is the water in a garden hose and you put your finger over the end this would be like a float closing at idle with the bowl full pressure goes up to your 7.5 lbs, now you launch your car using lots of fuel, take your finger away like the float dropping, how much pressure do you have now? With the bypass system, you set it behind the carb, and it does not matter where the float is the pressure stays the same because the restriction is behind the carb not in front of it.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
LOL for the type set up you are going to put it on, your not using massive amounts of fuel I would not worry to much

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a PITA getting to the valve cover is why I asked looks alittle cleaner imo.The pump only puts out 6.5 to 11psi it IS a manual pump,and I am NOT using a return because of the psi .It's not flowing as much as a electrical pump.At my power level ,no need for me to go nuts.So what you are saying is that I should be fine setting the reg @ 7.5 and mounting it in front of the fuel log BEFORE the carb.............. Thanx again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts