Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a question, I have the $27 holley regulator on my standalone system for the nitrous and I think it's building too much pressure at the line while it's not flowing and flooding the motor initially on the hit. I went to the track tonight to test out the spray and couldn't get a clean pass, it kept breaking up real bad and falling on it's face on the launch, was trying to make some plug readings, after it cleaned up it was movin out, and all the plugs looked pretty good, so i'm thinking it's the regulator just building too much pressure before the launch, what do you guys think, here's the video (can't see or hear much on the first race, but can definately hear and see it real good on the second one):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq9zW9Uc0vQ

I think i'm just gonna swap to a return style regulator, should've done it in the first place, but was trying to save some money and some buddies told me the dead head one would be fine and not give me any problems. I set the flowing pressure @ 6.5, and when it's not flowing, it's showing 9.5 on the gauge on the regulator.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don`t think thats your problem......

If you want to run a by-pass regulator...go for it...

If you want to run your holley as a by-pass...get a 1/8 fuel pressure fitting that screws into the regulator and install it.

Use a fitting machined for a nos jet and put in a .015-.018 nos jet and it will by-pass fuel back to the cell.

I didn`t see or hear a purge on either pass you might want to incoroprate that into your staging to rule out any trapped air in either system...

Looks to me like you change the bottle and trap some air in the line and when you hit the system it go`s rich until the nos hits the jet...then zoom it works.......It would sure seem like a rich bog..cause it is...

·
Registered
20,372 Posts

If you want to run your holley as a by-pass...get a 1/8 fuel pressure fitting that screws into the regulator and install it.

Use a fitting machined for a nos jet and put in a .015-.018 nos jet and it will by-pass fuel back to the cell.

I didn`t see or hear a purge on either pass you might want to incoroprate that into your staging to rule out any trapped air in either system...

Looks to me like you change the bottle and trap some air in the line and when you hit the system it go`s rich until the nos hits the jet...then zoom it works.......It would sure seem like a rich bog..cause it is...
+1

I run dead headed with no problems. I am switching to return style though.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
When I ran two pumps, my flowing pressure was 6.5 to 7 psi and i regularly saw 9-10 psi when staged. Never had it break up at all. In fact, I couldn't even feel any difference as the pressure equalized. Now with one pump, I see much high than that pressure. we'll see what happens.

When so you turn on the nitrous fuel pump? What's your staging routine?

I would purge the system after my burnout and pull up. Right before I prestaged, I'd turn the pump on, arm the system and purge again if needed, then I'd pull in to stage. Did that to minimize the time the pump was deadheading and also to make sure the pump turned on before I armed the kit.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
What is the tune up in the car? When dead headed it doesn't hurt to cycle the pump off prior to staging the car and then turn it on before your ready to go in.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dude, you didn't hear me motor purge it twice? I don't use a regular purge b/c they never work, it always has a little stumble before it hits if I don't motor purge it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I ran two pumps, my flowing pressure was 6.5 to 7 psi and i regularly saw 9-10 psi when staged. Never had it break up at all. In fact, I couldn't even feel any difference as the pressure equalized. Now with one pump, I see much high than that pressure. we'll see what happens.

When so you turn on the nitrous fuel pump? What's your staging routine?

I would purge the system after my burnout and pull up. Right before I prestaged, I'd turn the pump on, arm the system and purge again if needed, then I'd pull in to stage. Did that to minimize the time the pump was deadheading and also to make sure the pump turned on before I armed the kit.
My staging routine is burnout, then after the burnout I arm the system which also turns the pump on, give it a couple motor purges, pull up and go.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the tune up in the car? When dead headed it doesn't hurt to cycle the pump off prior to staging the car and then turn it on before your ready to go in.
It's got a 93 nitrous jet with a 96 fuel jet (recommended jet of 102 fuel was way way way too fat) and 6.5 lbs of flowing pressure, 18 degrees of timing, c16, and #8 ngk plugs.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
It's got a 93 nitrous jet with a 96 fuel jet (recommended jet of 102 fuel was way way way too fat) and 6.5 lbs of flowing pressure, 18 degrees of timing, c16, and #8 ngk plugs.
you say that your purging thru the motor, what is the f/p at that point? sound's to be still a little fat on the launch drop it to 6psi.

also 18deg total? try a little more timing, does'nt sound like enough to me.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I don't think that dead heading is your problem either I had mine like that for years never had that problem do you have a fuel pressure safety switch? waht do the plugs look like after a pass? maybee that plug is to hot of a plug? what kind of fuel are you using / 6.5psi seems a little fat still

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you say that your purging thru the motor, what is the f/p at that point? sound's to be still a little fat on the launch drop it to 6psi.

also 18deg total? try a little more timing, does'nt sound like enough to me.
f/p is reading 9.5 on the gauge on the regulator when not flowing. the ls1's don't run a lot of timing, i'm only running 26 degrees on motor and that's why I bumped it down to 18 for he 250 hit.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't think that dead heading is your problem either I had mine like that for years never had that problem do you have a fuel pressure safety switch? waht do the plugs look like after a pass? maybee that plug is to hot of a plug? what kind of fuel are you using / 6.5psi seems a little fat still
From what I could tell, the plugs looked good, no detonation, grayish fuel ring, and timing mark around the bend. Runnin c16, no fpss, those things are junk, I know a lot of people that have run them and they caused nothing but problems, so they took 'em right off and never had a problem again.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts