Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Titanium Member
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been living with the old flourescent 4ft fixtures for 23 years,and who knows how long they were there before that.
Got used to the dimmness,the cold weather start.
I just bought these buggers and damn.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MS1MGW6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Its like fucking daylight in my shop.
One question though.
They are pullchain switched.I leave them on,and a light switch powers up the recep.
Anyone think thats bad for the new lights?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've been looking to get rid of the old 8 footers in my garage and wanted to set them up like you're saying. Very reasonable price, hope they last. How big is your shop and how many did you get? Mine is 1200 sq ft.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Thanks for posting. I've been looking to get rid of the old 8 footers in my garage and wanted to set them up like you're saying. Very reasonable price, hope they last. How big is your shop and how many did you get? Mine is 1200 sq ft.
I would just buy the 10 pack, $200 done

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
Good price for a 4500 lumen led. The light doesn't know if you are using the pull chain or shutting off the outlet,you're fine.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
I put LED's like that in my garage a few years ago. Went from like being in a cave to being in a real building. Mine are pullchain on a switch, no issues so far.

·
Titanium Member
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My "shop",is only 25'X25'.
(It was my woodworkers shop,until I built the camaro in there,now its a garage,where I still build my motors when I need them,that my car sleeps in,lol)
That ad is for the 4 pack,which I got.It had good reveiws,some of the other similar ones,did not.

·
Titanium Member
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also,glad to hear it should be fine,thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Word of advice. Dont put the LED version on the same circuit as the flourescent. The spike from the starter in the fluros will kill the LEDs after a few weeks. BTDT

·
Registered
879 Posts
Word of advice. Dont put the LED version on the same circuit as the flourescent. The spike from the starter in the fluros will kill the LEDs after a few weeks. BTDT
Tell me more. When you say "same circuit" do you mean same receptacle or complete circuit breaker run ? Why does it do it and is there a way to protect it if they can't be split from flouros?
Thanx

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
I put up 4 dual bulb 8 footers on a switch in my 12'7" x 27' one car garage..wanna see what daylight really is..lol

·
Registered
799 Posts
When converting to LED, the inrush current will be 4 to 6 times higher than the fluorescents. Don't just go by the current consumption to calculate the total amperage. I have had to repair welded relays and light switches after people converted shop lights to LED. Not a problem if you know about it..

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
You’re fine doing it that way, nothing wrong with it.
Not only are you fine doing it that way I would argue that it is better. That shitty little pull chain switch is going to fail some day but by leaving it on it is not having to switch under load or be subjected to the mechanical issues of pulling it on and off. Also your wall switch is going to last longer because of the reduced electrical load on it. So don't give it another thought! Nice thing about the pull chains though is you can turn off some if you decide you want less light in there for whatever reason.

Forgot about the inrush of the LED so you might want to upgrade your wall switch at some time if it is marginal.

·
Satans Daddy
15,780 Posts
We just had everything switched over, 20 8' fixtures and 3 outside 10k lumen dusk-dawn.
Tex/New Mexico light company has a running promotion strictly for a business to reduce the load on the grid. They pay 2/3 I paid 1/3 or $420 installed.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Tell me more. When you say "same circuit" do you mean same receptacle or complete circuit breaker run ? Why does it do it and is there a way to protect it if they can't be split from flouros?
Thanx

I replaced some of my Fluros with LEDs on a complete breaker circuit for the lights in my Garage. LEDs kept giving up. Did some asking around and was told that the 'spike' from the Fluros on start up kills the LEDs.
Replaced all lights on that circuit with LEDs 3 years ago, not one failure since.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts