Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
28,988 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry84GT
They should put one those Ferd Coyote motors in it....
Maybe they didnt want to cut out the inner fenders... so went with a big block cause its narrower.
I was gonna say .... :) anybody that's ever put a set of headers on one of those cars knows there's hardly room for the 318 in there already. Back in the day when those cars were new there was more than one brand of headers that made less power than the factory manifolds because the pipe has to turn so short out of the head to fit inside the fender wells without cutting. Cutting a big hole and using straight-out fender well headers would wake one up, but the inside the fender headers are a joke for those cars. I have a buddy who dallied with that mess in his brand new Barracuda and he ain't over it to this day. His TS switches on for about a half-hour when starts ranting about how those headers cut the power of his awesome 273 4bbl with the Racer Brown cam.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I was gonna say .... :) anybody that's ever put a set of headers on one of those cars knows there's hardly room for the 318 in there already. Back in the day when those cars were new there was more than one brand of headers that made less power than the factory manifolds because the pipe has to turn so short out of the head to fit inside the fender wells without cutting. Cutting a big hole and using straight-out fender well headers would wake one up, but the inside the fender headers are a joke for those cars. I have a buddy who dallied with that mess in his brand new Barracuda and he ain't over it to this day. His TS switches on for about a half-hour when starts ranting about how those headers cut the power of his awesome 273 4bbl with the Racer Brown cam.
Well i did only write that to wind up the handful of guys here who get wound up about it :) all in jest.... but yes, anyone who knows a bodies knows theyre tight.

The first hot rodded car I ever had was an A body with a 318... and the downunder ones are even worse with the steering box on the right... they left the engines offset to the right down here just like the US cars, and managed to jam a steering box onto the flexible chassis rail down there on the RHS rather than on the k-member, right where headers should run, so double clusterfuck as they were stock.

Ive seen all kinds of things in my neck of the woods to put decent headers in A bodies, from under the steering link to seperate pipes with a slip on collector, and of course the cutting out of the inner fenders. Rack and pinion helps also.

Nowadays the way around it down under without getting rid of the torsion bars or cutting the fenders is large off the shelf tri-y headers which are a fairly recent development, the smallblocks seem to make decent power and midrange with those to 600 and beyond at the crank.

But if I had one with the gear available today id get rid of the torsion bars, and bit of a hammer massage around the shock tower area where required.

Im thinking alot of SBMs in A bodys were slower than they couldve been back in the day because of the headers, most of the GM cars have a lot of room in that area with smallblocks.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
So you would rather see a BBC in it instead of a Mopar engine please explain?
I was just waiting for someone to jump in when I called the coyote wide. 😛

Couldnt care less if people mix and match engines.

If someone twisted my arm to choose, well id rather see an aluminum low deck wedge in it with some B1-pso or even TS heads and EFI. But as a spectator I dont get to choose the engine or the budget. .

An R5/P7 motor would be cool too... theres still bits floating around on ebay.

BBC is probably the best bang for the buck option tho. 😛

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I was just waiting for someone to jump in when I called the coyote wide. 😛

Couldnt care less if people mix and match engines.

If someone twisted my arm to choose, well id rather see an aluminum low deck wedge in it with some B1-pso or even TS heads and EFI. But as a spectator I dont get to choose the engine or the budget. .

An R5/P7 motor would be cool too... theres still bits floating around on ebay.

BBC is probably the best bang for the buck option tho. 😛
A 3rd gen hemi will fuck up a P7. Good tech for the 90's, not anymore though.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts