Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I know this doesn't hardly compare to the builds you guys are doing but thought some of you with kids would enjoy it. That and the braggin rights for a dad can't hardly be beat! Quick history....daughter wanted a basket case VW Bug as her first car, bought one when she was 14, 2 years to restore it. Tired, old 1600 motor, needed a new one that could keep up with traffic. She built a mid 1776 herself (with a little supervision).

Old motor has to come out

Pulled off carb, manifold and a few others parts to re-use

Removing old firewall insulation

Donor case to be used, welded for those of you that know VW motors.

Case split

Cleaning out case before it gets machined

A little fine tuning to the rods before installing

Building the crank

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Awesome! Those are not easy engines either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! That color is actually a 'new' VW color. She picked it from the first year they introduced the (fake) Bugs again back around 2001. It's called Cyber Green, real similar to a stock color back in the 70's. Okay, back to the build.......

Crank is finished, time to start some the fun stuff. Main bearings installed

Prepping the cam

Cranks & can installed

A quick turn to see how things move and whatnot

Applying some sealant for the case halves to be joined

Putting the case together

Torque it down!

·
Mother Hen
51,785 Posts
That's so cool. My first car at 15 was a California look bug. It was Fruehauf truck yellow. It had a chopped top, all chrome holes filled, one piece windows, air shocks and a lowering kit, dual exhaust, diamond pleated interior, tachometer, Hurst shifter and Centerline rims. My dad and a bunch of the guys built it at his shop, but they said they were building it for one of the guys. On my birthday, they gave me a box with the keys in it and rolled it in on a rollback. They built another one at the same time that was Porsche Indy red. They were tricked out to the nth degree. I loved that car and sat in it and played the radio for six months before I was old enough to drive it. Every cop in three counties knew that car. lol It's awesome to see her putting so much effort into building her own ride. Thanks for sharing because it brought back some great memories.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's so cool. It's awesome to see her putting so much effort into building her own ride. Thanks for sharing because it brought back some great memories.
She did about 90% of the work, paid for most of the parts with babysitting $$$. She takes care of it like no tomorrow, NOBODY gets near her car :)

Glad you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The install.

While the motor was out, went ahead and put in new motor mounts, throw-out bearing and arm.

Love this pic, you can feel the pride :cool:

Bring on that motor girl

INSTALLED

Some wiring

External oil filter

Dad checking a few things

Exhaust/mufflers

Add some fluids

Turn it over, fired on the first try :cool:

Bad picture but you can see that's One Happy Girl

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
awesome! nothing like that feeling when it fires up for the 1st time.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
looks like a 92 bore case and full flowed. I,m sure you guys went with 1776cc.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts