Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is in 8th grade learning Algebra 1 and has an A at mid term. This shit is killing me and my wife. It's been 25 years since I was learning it. I'm trying real hard not to show how frustrated it is making me because I want her to stay with it and do good.

If my dad was still here... He was an engineer and this stuff came easy to him.

May need a tutor.

Any of you going through the same?

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
What I find funny is how some thinks I thought were hard in high school come easy, and some easy shit makes me feel like a wee todd

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
A good tutor can do wonders. Nothing wrong with getting the best people to help out your kid. I'd be glad to help, but my brain is wired for language and composition- not mathematics. I was/am horrible at math.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
if you are having trouble with algebra wait until she gets to calculus lol.

she is lucky to have someone there to help her. I always had to figure out everything for myself because there was no one there to help me lol.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
As you have mentioned. Once I finish my welding program, I am heading into the Engineering world Algebra, Calc and Trig are on my to do list. Dont know if i want to do Welding, Structual or Civial Engineering, but whatever I learn my 9y/o will learn to.

·
Registered
421 Posts
http://www.interactmath.com/

I had to start over in algebra since I went back to college. I use this site all the time to help me work similar problem out of my book. Hit the enter button in the center of the page and look under the drop down menu to find your text book. If its there, you can find the chapter your in and they help with the odd problems but dont use the same values.

At the problem, just click "help me solve" and it will ask you questions to help you solve it. Best site Ive used so far.

If your text book isnt in there, give me a example problem and I'll tell you what chaper to look under from my text books.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
She is in 8th grade learning Algebra 1 and has an A at mid term. This shit is killing me and my wife. It's been 25 years since I was learning it. I'm trying real hard not to show how frustrated it is making me because I want her to stay with it and do good.

If my dad was still here... He was an engineer and this stuff came easy to him.

May need a tutor.

Any of you going through the same?
I dig it. Mine is only in 6th grade but between the math and history it's like a big ole' flashback.

IMO, the parents can play a bigger role in the education of their child than the teachers.

Is there a specific problem she is having trouble with?.

·
Registered
38,689 Posts
My wife's kid is in exactly the same predicament ... 13, 8th grade, algebra 1.

So far I've been able to help him with the formulas and theories but only because I use them in my work. Now as we progress I'll be in trouble.

Fortunately the school here has a "helper" math course which he has. Simply put, instead of a useless elective like music he has 2 math periods per day. "Helper math" is the period right before "algebra" and they go over yesterday's work and trouble spots, etc.

He struggled a bit last year with math because it was a bad combination of tougher math, too many of his close friends in that class and a teacher who had health issues and missed weeks at a time. He never got into a routine. But since it got him in "helper math" it was a bleesing in disguise.

"Helper math" started off as 9 kids now 3 weeks into the school year there are 14 with more coming.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine is doing the same shit but...........French Immersion..
decimal points are comma's...and all the rest
I showed frustration....there was no way around it..

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
I took Algebra from 7th -10th grade and still don't get. They also teach math in a different way than I learned so i'm in trouble.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.interactmath.com/

I had to start over in algebra since I went back to college. I use this site all the time to help me work similar problem out of my book. Hit the enter button in the center of the page and look under the drop down menu to find your text book. If its there, you can find the chapter your in and they help with the odd problems but dont use the same values.

At the problem, just click "help me solve" and it will ask you questions to help you solve it. Best site Ive used so far.

If your text book isnt in there, give me a example problem and I'll tell you what chaper to look under from my text books.

That is freaking awesome! The power of the bullet!!! Thanks man!!!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dig it. Mine is only in 6th grade but between the math and history it's like a big ole' flashback.

IMO, the parents can play a bigger role in the education of their child than the teachers.

Is there a specific problem she is having trouble with?.
Yes the ladder stages of childhood ADHD for starters :) Lots of learning and therapy for the whole family over the years has proven to pay off. She is getting it but slowly. Thank you for offering! The hard part is for me to re-learn it then explain it. That's where a tutor will help because they don't have to re-learn it. That website is going to help too.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I did 8th grade algebra, had to take it over in 9th grade and I blame it on the teacher, 9th grade it was as easy as 2+2..so how it's taught is more important than what is taught in my opinion.

How many of you have the kids that argue with you that "that's not the way I was shown how to do it"...my wife and 12yr old daughter go to death battle anytime my wife tries to help her with any type of homework...the females cant get along with other female thing I guess. Usually takes me raising my voice once to settle her the fuck down, show her how I derive at the answer, and help her see that there is more than one way to get the solution, not this way and this way only.......so that's our biggest battle.

Few times I've had to speed read her book to job my brain, do a google search to get the wheels turning since some of this stuff I haven't dealt with since school...finding common denominators for one LOL. I enjoy it, helping her out and all..plus it saves me a headache of listening to wife/daughter bickering

·
Jesus Built My Hotrod.
3,975 Posts
Algebra I should be pretty straight-forward... P.E.M.D.A.S. As long as you do stuff in order it should turn out right everytime. As long as the basic math skills are there (decimals, fractions, etc) it should work out. Algebra II is where it starts to get hairy. Blech! I had a really hard time with II, did great in geometry but almost had to take Algebra II twice. Started working in a machine shop and using trig all the time...made way more sense than Algebra. I aced all the Algebra stuff on the ASVAB but it was all level I type problems...goes to show how much you're expected to retain. Even the physics problems were level I.

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
Yes the ladder stages of childhood ADHD for starters :) Lots of learning and therapy for the whole family over the years has proven to pay off. She is getting it but slowly. Thank you for offering! The hard part is for me to re-learn it then explain it. That's where a tutor will help because they don't have to re-learn it. That website is going to help too.
Mine is high functioning Asbergers kid.....which makes it easy to teach (he's spookey smart compared to me) but......I SUCK as a teacher. I know how to do the stuff but putting it in a way he can grasp is a challenge but we have gotten through it thus far. I do the maff and the sciences (with a tinge of history) and the wife does all the English/writing blah blah stuff that I didn't get then and still don't.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts