Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What program do you use (Holley, Fueltech, Racepak, RPM, etc.)

What sensors do you have?

What additional sensors would you like to have?

How do you use it to interpret what your car is doing?

I've been seat of the pants for years, and am finally going to go the correct route. Things are too tight these days to give up a hun.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I use an RPM brand recorder and have rpm, driveshaft speed, battery voltage, dual 02, crankcase vacuum, fuel pressure, oil pressure, G meter and water temperature. The rpm and driveshaft graph is one of the main things I watch for anomalies of a bad run. I watch crankcase vacuum and oil pressure for engine health.

· Registered
931 Posts
I have Racepak Sportsman and IQ Dash with Driveshaft, voltage, RPM, Fuel pressure, Clutch sensor (trans input shaft), Intake vac, Pan vac, Acceleration G's, A/F, water temp, oil temp, Oil pressure

· A Senior Member
5,060 Posts
This should be broken down into 2 categories.

The vehicles on track performance.

Driveshaft rpm, engine rpm, rear shock travel, and g meter are my main go to’s
Then the power plants health.

Oil pressure, water temperature, O2's, EGT's, vacuum, boost, transmission temperature, ENG Oil temperature, battery voltage, etc.

And you can have information from an MSD Power Grid like, TB release, shift activation, and timing parameters.

Then you have to interpret it all correctly. :unsure:

· Registered
20,012 Posts
I'll add a few. Transmission pressures - main system and outlet pressure. I run a turbo so I also do ambient air temp (turbo inlet), turbo discharge temp (pre-intercooler), air inlet temp (post turbocharger) and final air temp (sensor located downstream of my E85 injectors). For a NA application I would consider having a temp probe near the carb/throttle body inlet.

Oil temps has been mentioned. Don't overlook this. You should have an engine oil temp and use it to verify it reaches a safe minimum temp before making a pass. I don't datalog it though, it changes so slowly it's best to have it on a cockpit gauge.

· Registered
378 Posts
Have had problems with Racepak dash lights that were never fixed after many trips back to the shop. Went to RPM and like them. Also the guy that runs the place answers the phone. Driveshaft rpm, eng rpm, rear shock, and g- meter are your main car-fixers. When you add a bunch of sensors, the scores really change on price but you only buy them once.
The big bracket races will make you unhook the d-shaft sensor, but after you get the car fixed it's not a big deal.

· Registered
2,204 Posts
We live in a data driven world so more is better. I cannot comment on boost but with nitrous, if I had to pick one, it would be a pan vacuum sensor.

· T/S 368E
40,172 Posts
We live in a data driven world so more is better.
I cannot comment on boost but with nitrous, if I had to pick one, it would be a pan vacuum sensor.

Is there a noticeable difference from the gauge being in the pan, valley or valve cover??

Open question to all!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts