Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 69 Camaro I still have the stock dash, but I need a new dashpad which cost close to $300.

So instead of buying one of them, how hard would it be to install an aluminum dashboard kit, like the one S&W sells (95-110)?

Do I need to totally remove the factory dash and can I use one of these kits with a stock steering column?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll take that into consideration and I do like the stock look, but if I wanted to go that way, how hard of a job is it?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Buy a $100 plastic dash pad cover from JC Whitney. #1 thing that ruins a race car interior for me is a junk sheetmetal dash.....looks like a dirt track car. Or do a fiberglass OEM looking dash....

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Wow, that is the second time I heard that today. You don't know john heard do you?
I do...

And agree with him and Craig.. install a fiberglass one if you want light weight...

I would run no dash before putting an aluminum one in anymore.,

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at them the other day and can get one from JC Whitney made by a company called Palco for $75.00.

Seeing that I don't have the original dash pad to work with, I now got to figure out a way to fasten it to the dash sheetmetal.

I do have some idea's, maybe velcro would work?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Yes, I know John. I think he's stealing my idea....that I stole from someone else. lol. I can snap a couple pics of mine....no original dash pad....just the cover only. Mine just sits there....need to fasten it down but haven't gotten around to it yet. lol. Its notched around the a-pillar bars so that basically holds it though.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He was telling me all about a guy he knows that has a firebird that uses a dash cover and it fits in so nicely that it's not even secured down.

Is your's made by Accuform? I thought you could get them through JC Whitney, but I don't see their name in the brand list.
They were at one time.

Do you think I could use Panel Bond and glue some threaded stand-offs to it and bolt it onto the dash?

Have you seen John's car lately? That thing is killer!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,855 Posts

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could you then use small pieces of velcro?

I planned to use a carriage type bolt that has a flat bottom and glue or expoxy them to the bottom of the dash and then drill holes to secure it to the steel dash.

I just found a 69 dash cover made by Accoform on sale for $40.00.....

How is the color/ texture?

Check out John's site, the car looks great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Perfect matte black right outta the box. Very happy with the color and texture.
Damn that looks good, Craig. JC Whitney FTW! :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts