Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched high and low to fine someone that can tell me which solid roller lifter i need to run on this dart sportsman 351 block ' running brodix 201 heads...Im using a standard solid roller comp cams cam...The lifters i have right now are the 87879-16 and everything looks like itwould work fine ' except the predrilled oiling hole is running long ways ' the same way as the oiling galley......I pulled 1 of the galley plugs back of the block & im showing 100 thous's of the cutout ' which they say is fine' but the predrilled oiling hole was facing longways and was dead center of the oiling galley....Just talked with crower & they say part # 66378 will work ' but i pulled up a pic on jegs and the lifter looks shorter but not sure...Hes suppose 2 send me more info....I know as many dart sportsman blocks that are out there running brodix 201 heads someone has 2 know of a lifter that will work...They will have to be ex lifter centered & intake 180 offset like these comp lifters....thanks...
Anyone know if these lifters i have will work ok???
I already tapped the hole in the back of the block' and installed a 1/8 inch pipe plug....I have 1 plug drilled 90 thou's ' talked to dart yesterday & they said they would start with 140 thou's ....At least i will only have to remove the intake to change the restrictor if i need to when the engine is done.....thanks..

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The 87879-16 lifters are made with the BBF bodies that have the oil holes parallel to the oil galley. The Crowers #66387 have the standard SBF body with the oil holes perpendicular to the oil galley. That being said, either will work. On my motor with my custom ground cam I was getting too much oil to the top of the motor with the Comp lifters and would have needed to install oil restrictors in the block. Seeing as the motor was already together at the time (and my very early IE block was not tapped for restrictors) I elected to swap to the Crowers. The Crowers out of the box restricted the oil to much to the top half and I had to cut those small notched from the oil band to the oil holes like you see mentioned from time to time. After that they worked great and everything oiled just fine. So... the moral of the story is either set will work, it will just depend on where the cam puts the lifter in the oil galley as to whether the lifters will work out of the box or whether some restricting or modding will need to be done.

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The predrilled oiling hole sits dead center with the lifter galley hole with the lifters sitting all the way down on base circle...I have like 100 thou's of the cutout in the center of the lifter showing with lifters down also....at max lift i have almost all the cutout on the lifters showing looking the the plugged lifter galley hole also on the back of the block....I drilled and installed the 1/8 pipe plug & dart said they would start with a 140 thou's hole in the plug and others say 90' thous....Comp says there is a brand new lifter they can get me also that has the predrilled oiling hole running the right way but i havent seen pics of the lifter.....I may just run these i have and see how much oil goes to the top....A friend of mine had the r block and he wasn't getting enough oil and bought the lifters already notched like urs and fixed his problem.....

ps: you sure the crower # is 66387 ? I called them a few weeks ago and they said i needed # 66378 or i misunderstood....thanks

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
The predrilled oiling hole sits dead center with the lifter galley hole with the lifters sitting all the way down on base circle...I have like 100 thou's of the cutout in the center of the lifter showing with lifters down also....at max lift i have almost all the cutout on the lifters showing looking the the plugged lifter galley hole also on the back of the block....I drilled and installed the 1/8 pipe plug & dart said they would start with a 140 thou's hole in the plug and others say 90' thous....Comp says there is a brand new lifter they can get me also that has the predrilled oiling hole running the right way but i havent seen pics of the lifter.....I may just run these i have and see how much oil goes to the top....A friend of mine had the r block and he wasn't getting enough oil and bought the lifters already notched like urs and fixed his problem.....

ps: you sure the crower # is 66387 ? I called them a few weeks ago and they said i needed # 66378 or i misunderstood....thanks
You're right 66378. Fat fingered it. It sounds like you are having the same problems as I was. My oil holes were right in the middle when on the base circle. It was oiling way too much as the oil hole was getting fed by the galley at all times except for just a tiny but over the nose of the cam. It was looking like the fix was to install the restrictor's in the one oil galley at the front of the motor and two under the valley plugs. Its been quite a while since I went through this so you would have to do some searching to see exactly where the restrictors were placed. For me, since my block was not tapped and I didn't want to take it all apart to tap the holes I just sold off the comps and bought the crowers.

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
My dart Iron Eagle block allows you to use pipe plugs at the front and back of the block for oil restrictors. They are under the large pipe plugs that you see at the front and rear of the lifter valley. I use the priority main oiling on mine so the oil is blocked in the rear and feeds the lifters through the front. I use a single .063" restrictor, in the front of the block, to feed the top of the engine. If you are not using priority main oiling you can probably use 2 .030" restrictors; one in the front and one in the back of the block.

The pipe plugs should all come with the block. The block should also come with instructions on how to setup the oiling system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:)Well only the last 2 numbers were bacrwards...

Well' another machine shop said unscrew the big plug at the back of the sportsman block in the lifter galley & go down the left passenger hole and tap in the area between the lifter galley & the main oiling galley & thats what i done but may still go with the crowers not sure...Maby someone else on here will have some more answers...You have been more helpful than any other site i have came across...thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah im running the 351 dart sportsman & dart told me to just install one at the back...u dont have to drill it just tap it....but dart said the iron eagle block was already tapped and they used 1 at tha back and 1 or 2 at the front i think he said....

·
Super Moderator
9,251 Posts
I always manually prime the oil pump and watch to see how much oil ALL of the rockers are getting. Sometimes a small base circle cam can block the oil to some lifters/rockers. Sometimes too much gets through. Bench testing the system will save you a lot of hassle. I had to notch my Crower and Isky lifters to get any oil to get through to some of the lifters. Then I had to restrict everything to keep too much oil from flooding the top of the engine.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Here is my post on Hardcore50 when I had my problems. It spells most everything out as to what my problem was, and what I did to fix it. http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40057&highlight=lifters

Jim is right though, make sure to prime the motor when its still on the stand and make sure to have the covers off the motor to verify the oiling to all of the rockers. Doing it on the stand allows you to check everything out easily without having to work around a car and it makes fixing things even easier.

Chris

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah ' im gona take a drill and do some testing after i get these brodix 201 heads bolted on....just had to take the crank & cam back out to clean the block good after tappin this hole....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read all that on hardcore & see you went through the same h3ll i have... I just got to decide if i want to keep these comp cam lifters & use the restrictors i just installed or buy some crowers....It also took me a few days to see where to put the 1/8 inch pipe plug so i could drill it....i opened up the bigger hole on the pass rear with a 1/2 drill bit so i could use a 1/4 inch socket on the tap'''wasn't enough room in that hole to get a socket on the tap....but after i opened it up i could see down where i needed to be which was between the lifter galley & the main oiling galley or looking at the motor from the back its between the 2 plugs that screw in the back pass of the block...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts