Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting parts to put a 540 together.(4.500x4.25) I want to keep it on pump gas (street and race) but I am not sure on what heads I want to use yet? I am thinking either a brodix bb-2 plus or a dart pro 1 325 ? I want a good flowing head but not a huge one for what I want to do. I am going to keep comp. around 10to1 or 11to1. Any suggestions on which one would be better to use?? Thanks.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Curtis at RFD did some very nice Darts for us on a 555 that picked up and runs 9's in a PumpGas 3500 plus pound little tire Camaro Street car You can use the 11 to 1

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can do a custom built head, or keep it simple and throw on a set of cnc AFR 335s. Depends on your budget and overall expectations in HP

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
I just dyno'd my 548 on Thursday. It's 10.2:1, Camshaft Innovations roller (solid), with ported Dart IE 308's, and a Wilson cnc'd SV. Made just a tick over 800 on Exxon 93. If your wanting AL, I'd say some Dart Pro-1 325's with some bowl work and a good valve job would do the trick.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just dyno'd my 548 on Thursday. It's 10.2:1, Camshaft Innovations roller (solid), with ported Dart IE 308's, and a Wilson cnc'd SV. Made just a tick over 800 on Exxon 93. If your wanting AL, I'd say some Dart Pro-1 325's with some bowl work and a good valve job would do the trick.
Hey John, how big are the runners now after the porting on the iron eagles 308's?

That's a killer combo for sure, any other important details you care to share?

thanks
steve

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hey John, how big are the runners now after the porting on the iron eagles 308's?

That's a killer combo for sure, any other important details you care to share?

thanks
steve
Steve, this thread has all the in's and out's, good and bad, including several dyno sheets. The heads ended up 328-332cc. Flow #'s were not spectacular, but made good power none the less. It was dyno'd on the same SF902 I always use and the same dyno that says my 427 makes 758hp yet runs [email protected] So, it's an honest dyno IMO.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237223

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Steve, this thread has all the in's and out's, good and bad, including several dyno sheets. The heads ended up 328-332cc. Flow #'s were not spectacular, but made good power none the less. It was dyno'd on the same SF902 I always use and the same dyno that says my 427 makes 758hp yet runs [email protected] So, it's an honest dyno IMO.
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237223
Thanks alot for that link John,it was a good read and it made me feel better knowing you had a good working trans in your Chevelle.

I always wondered how it ran so well with those hp numbers,it kind of reminds me of a stock eliminator car. Do you have any idea what the rear wheel hp #'s are?

I'm just trying to get an idea on how much my 10.5-1 540 is making at the flywheel, it made 670hp on my friends chassis dyno,running a run of the mill th-400 and 9" convertor.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
the dart pro1 325 heads is what I was leaning towards. there was a set on here for sell close to me but I was too late.
Sorry spitfire,not trying to steal your thread.

If you can afford it,I'd take a long look at the Dart 335 cnc'd pro-1 for what you are planning,or if you think you may end up spraying it with some nitrous go with the 355's like I did,it still makes ok power n/a.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Pretty sweet there John............

I`ll keep you posted on my 11.0 to 1 598...........

Looking for 900 on the pump stuff.........
Thanks! Yep, keep me posted on the 598. :cool:

I'm just trying to get an idea on how much my 10.5-1 540 is making at the flywheel, it made 670hp on my friends chassis dyno,running a run of the mill th-400 and 9" convertor.

Thanks,
Steve
The only time I've had it on a chassis dyno with the 350XLT was July 07 at a North Texas Chevelles dyno day in Dallas. It made 648 on the dyno jet. I had just switched to VP113 and hadn't done any tuning with it yet. HTH.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.