Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
[email protected] JoeCool Performance
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my dad and he needs to get some 55mm roller bearings for his engine. Hes putting together a 454ci Dart Iron Eagle based sbf. The block is machined to accept 55mm bearings. Its our first time dealing with this and he seems to be having a hard time finding them. The only place he found quoted him $35 bucks for shipping. He checked all the journals and they are all the same size on the block unlike a stock setup that have different bearing sizes. We were also discussing if it was possible that someone makes regular bearings that could go in the block so we could use a regular cam with stock size journals. From what hes read is that a roller bearing is really not recommended for street use and this engine will see quite a bit of it. He gave me some part numbers for the roller bearings that will work, one is hk5520 and the other is tla5520z. Can anyone help with this? Where can I get these from? Thanks

Joel

·
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. He bought the block used from a friend of his dirt cheap. He didnt check the rod to cam clearance, 4.250 stroke, and some of the rods hit the cam. The block is fresh from the machine shop with a clean bill of health but its been machined for the 55mm bearings.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
What size cam tunnel do you have?? If its for the 55 MM Roller cam bearings the tunnel size should be 2.477 We have machined quite a few of the SBF's for the GMP-55-T Babbit cam bearings and they seem to work very well in the Ford blocks more so the The Ford racing blocks as you can't machine a 2.477 cam tunnel all the way through on those blocks because of a oil galley on the rear journal.

We have done 55 MM roller cam bearings in those blocks before the first 4 journals are 2.477 and the last journal is 2.283

The babbit bearings seem to be very common now

Hope this helps

·
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He doesnt know, I just talked to him and he told me that the bearings that came off are part number hk5520(have you dealt with that number bearing?), and to go by that. I asked him about the 2.477 journal size and hes going to look into it. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
He doesnt know, I just talked to him and he told me that the bearings that came off are part number hk5520(have you dealt with that number bearing?), and to go by that. I asked him about the 2.477 journal size and hes going to look into it. Thank you for the response.
Thats the right bearing for the 55 MM cam tunel which is 2.477 and you can get those through you local bearing whare house.

One note if that is 55 MM on the rear journal and being a Dart block it probably is most roller cams are made for the 50 MM on the rear journal and you may need the rear jounal welded up to the 55 MM size.

Good luck

·
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thank you for your help. Yes the rear journal is the same size as the others. He micd the journals on the cam that was on there and they are all the same. He would prefer to put bearings on there so he can use a stock journal cam that I have sitting on the shelf here but I dont know if thats even possible. Hes just going to have to get a custom cam made for the engine when the time comes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
ok thank you for your help. Yes the rear journal is the same size as the others. He micd the journals on the cam that was on there and they are all the same. He would prefer to put bearings on there so he can use a stock journal cam that I have sitting on the shelf here but I dont know if thats even possible. Hes just going to have to get a custom cam made for the engine when the time comes. Thanks again.
A stock cam is not going to happen unless you sleeve the journals ID's and that would cost more money then its worth. You really have a good set up now!!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Could use the Ford motorsports roller bearings and use a 2.051 journal camshaft. Might be enough clearance. The o.d.
of that roller bearing fits. That is how mine came from dart. I used a 55mm babbit bearing instead.

·
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok thanks guys. I will advise him to just get the 55mm roller bearings and order a custom cam. Take care.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
as CARL has stated,
there is no current BABBITT insert that can go DIRECTLY from the 2.477 housing bore ( in the block) directly down to the STOCK-ORIGINAL ford cam journal...stock cam journal...
...the only mannor that this is going to happen is if someone presses in tubes to reduce the housing diameter down to a common housing bore that a stock original ford block has...and that is expensive...

but the alternative is to either use the babbitt inserts ( gmp55T) and use the cam that has the 55 diameter journals
or
use the roller bearing inserts and the 55 mm journal cam.

the 55 mm journal is 2.165"

The FIRST QUESTION IS,

WHAT journal diameter is the cam that you have....???

as said by CARL,

many of the blocks have 55 mm journal ( housing bore 2.477) on the front four
and the rear most housing bore is 50mm or even 2.144 stock ford babbitt size housing bore..

you MUST MEASURE EACH housing bore to know what you got...!!

just because it came from a "certain place" .......dont mean that it is "standard"..

what exactly is considered "STANDARD" since there are MANY VARIATIONS....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts