Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a finished block direct from Dart?
Has the machine work been acceptable and ready to assemble?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
NO.
Needs align honed.
Needs honed to your speced piston size.
Needs decked to your assembly.
Possibly needs clearance for stroke.

Last one I saw had the main bolts torque varied to make the housing bores look better.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Has anyone bought a finished block direct from Dart?
Has the machine work been acceptable and ready to assemble?
We sell a lot of Dart blocks and never had gotten a finished one from them.

And yes they will finish machine a block to your spec and it should be ready to assemble.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
NO.
Last one I saw had the main bolts torque varied to make the housing bores look better.
I really don't get what your saying as I have loosened the bolts before and the housing bores look the same, Do they change color or something???

·
Registered
560 Posts
We sell a lot of Dart blocks and never had gotten a finished one from them.

And yes they will finish machine a block to your spec and it should be ready to assemble.
Carl is correct. if you don' specify that you want it finish they will sell it pre-finished.

I had my block for our 632 final honed on their pro-stock honing with my piston spec. sized lifter bore to our size etc. They can do it.:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
No they don't. We had a new block for last season and the pistons skirt came out looking almost like new and bearings don't even have any wear mark on them. They will be just fine if machined properly.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Do the Dart blocks need to be seasoned or cycled several times and then re-checked/honed/bored, or is finishing them before they are ever heat cycled acceptable from a longevity standpoint?
It would be nice to put a block on the metal lax table and cryro the block would be nice but not many will spend the 500 dollars or so to have it done.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
leave the new iron blocks in the rain for a couple of years then finish them.... rolls royce did this in the 30' to season them. darts are best you can get beside a gm bowtie in my book.

·
Registered
188 Posts
leave the new iron blocks in the rain for a couple of years then finish them.... rolls royce did this in the 30' to season them. darts are best you can get beside a gm bowtie in my book.
That will just make the carbon come to the surface . It will do nothing to relieve the stress in the casting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts