Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dart Little M. I have some small cracks starting from the head stud holes toward #7 cylinder. I'm getting water in that cylinder. Is there any way to repair these cracks?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Dart Little M. I have some small cracks starting from the head stud holes toward #7 cylinder. I'm getting water in that cylinder. Is there any way to repair these cracks?

Using short studs that bottom the shank out on the deck with a large bore this sometimes happens, I am a huge advocate of bottom tap the head bolt hole use a .950 reach studs and drop a BB in the holes you won't ever see any cracks.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will go back together with longer ones with a bb in the bottom of the holes. Lesson learned. But the question is how to fix the cracks I have. I need to clean up the bore to see if they are making it to the cylinder. But water is getting in there somehow. I saw an article about sleeving the cylinder and putting inserts into the bolt holes. Not sure how that works with a blind hole. Maybe there is water in that repaired bolt hole going forward?

·
T/S 368E
29,040 Posts

A tiny BB is a great idea.

·
T/S 368E
29,040 Posts

I have a Dart big M and I had a hell of a time finding anyone to fix a crack.
That was a skill that used to be more common, and I finally gave up.

If you or anyone finds or knows a place near Chicago that can fix a block with 100% trust,
please drop me a private message.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear that.
should there be water present from this crack? It’s on the right of the hole and not easy to see. I think this is the culprit because the gasket shares the line

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would try putting a sleeve in that hole. Otherwise no chance to keep the water out.
I wondered about that. And I think it is inevitable that the cracks will make their way to the cylinder. But, the cracks only seem to make it halfway there if looking very closely. And there is no sign of the crack in the cylinder that I have been able to detect. So will the sleeve for sure stop it? It seems to leave a trace on the gasket, which is the only path I have found.

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
There is no water at that spot, i have a hard time believing that's where it's coming from....
I've had ones that went into the cylinder slightly and never leak water....
You sure it isn't the head??
Looks like your deck could be smoother also.
What gasket type?

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Never mind i see it's a MLS gasket.
Decks too rough for that gasket....
Not helping things.
Bout the only way it could be that crack is if it went down in the hole and into the water side...
Was there water in the hole?
Threads don't look rusty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts