Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dart Big M BBC , Anyone have any idea what’s the best sleeve diameter to go with ? I need 2 sleeves installed the finish bore will be 4.562 (right now it’s at 4.532). I’m getting different wall thickness opinions from various sleeve manufacturers , would a 1/8 inch wall be to big 4.815 of a dia in this block ? Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blew 2 rods and chunked the cyl pretty good , this is just a N/A street motor

·
Registered
585 Posts
Street motor and under 11:1 with no power adders should be fine with a sleeve. My block only had .030” left when it was bored for the sleeve and I’m running 13:1 with a 150 shot.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
would they be available in such thin wall? ID wouldn't really matter so much as the cylinders can/will be bored

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
we would probably use a 4.700 or so od sleeve for that. 4.600 bore i normally use a 4.750 sleeve if we have to fix it. I recently did a block that had o-rings for nitrous, and LA Sleeve had a really cool flanged sleeve that worked fantastic for that application. IMO, i wouldnt go bigger OD than 4.750 ish in a 4.840 block

·
I kill parts
9,898 Posts
we would probably use a 4.700 or so od sleeve for that. 4.600 bore i normally use a 4.750 sleeve if we have to fix it. I recently did a block that had o-rings for nitrous, and LA Sleeve had a really cool flanged sleeve that worked fantastic for that application. IMO, i wouldnt go bigger OD than 4.750 ish in a 4.840 block
We have used that sleeve a couple times(had it put in) and had no issues at 4.600 and even 4.625" bore; 600-632ci nitrous combos.

FL-3240, comes 4.480 bore, 4.730 OD, 4.896 flange OD, 7.680 long

They have FL-3144, 4.490 bore, 4.801 OD, 5.2 flange, 7.15 length - Not thinking that's plausible in a std bore space block.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are guys saying that you use a flanged sleeve in you blocks ? If so can you do a flanged sleeve in a cast iron block ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
So are guys saying that you use a flanged sleeve in you blocks ? If so can you do a flanged sleeve in a cast iron block ?
not if i didnt have to. The nitrous motor i needed to put orings in, so it had to be flanged. I like the flange deal, but it was a bit of a bitch, and more than 1 is going to be tough to line up flats if you have press in the sleeve and the flange

·
Registered
108 Posts
Flanged is all we use in iron blocks anymore, you can install them with very little interference. Call Brent @ Powerbore in Ohio and he will make you anything you want in any quantity. For your application, something around 4.700 with a 4.840 flange. We have the flanges made .130" thick and cut the counterbores .125" deep, heat the block and cool the sleeve, it drops in, pull the sleeve down with a torque plate or fixture and when all the temps normalize, machine the flange to the deck.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but anyone have experience with a Dart Big M aluminum block sleeving all 8.. Block was a 4.600 bore and is now 4.618 with receiver grooves in the top of the sleeves...Would like to take it back to 4.500/4.530 if that were possible,,,Several shops have warned that these Dart Aluminum blocks can or probably have cracks and issues in the webbing and can be junk when you pull the sleeves,,,,comments and thought appreciated...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not to hijack this thread but anyone have experience with a Dart Big M aluminum block sleeving all 8.. Block was a 4.600 bore and is now 4.618 with receiver grooves in the top of the sleeves...Would like to take it back to 4.500/4.530 if that were possible,,,Several shops have warned that these Dart Aluminum blocks can or probably have cracks and issues in the webbing and can be junk when you pull the sleeves,,,,comments and thought appreciated...
Not sure what they are thinking? If it's cracked, pulling the sleeves will not make it worse, it's junk either way.

Heat the block and pull them out, sometimes if your spray washer is hot enough the sleeves will fall out after washing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts