Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper way to install a damper. I have a loaner balancer installer from Auto Zone #27144 w/no directions. I could probably figure it out, but I'd like to do it right. Cola 4340 crank/ ATI Super Damper. Thx in advance

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Lube crank snout or inside of balancer. Screw threaded part of tool into crank put balancer on end of crank line up crank key slide install tool bearing on then the nut that tightens all down. Then tighten till stops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Usually the installer will thread in to the crankshaft/balancer bolt hole and then you place the bearing on the balancer and use the threaded nut against the bearing to push the balancer in to position. ATI balancers have to be honed sometimes so they have the right interference fit on the crankshaft snout, so make sure that is correct before installing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
X2
I had to have my balancer honed when I bought mine,be careful.If you put it on and it's to tight,it's going to take alot of force to get it off.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
If you have an outside and an inside mic, or outside mic and telescoping guage and are familiar with using them you can measure yourself. I don't recall the press fit spec, but basically you measure the od of the crank snout and id of the balancer. Subtract one from the other and you have your clearance. Should only be a couple of thousands smaller on the balancer side for the press fit, but like I said, I don't remember the exact spec. If you don't have the tools to measure yourself, take it to a competent machine shop and have them check it for you. They can fit it for you as well while they have it if needed.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Basically once it bottoms out give it a little more tightning and stop. You should feel and realize when it can no longer be tightened.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
How do you know it's too tight?

I should have read the post better...............I'm about to fall asleep. You can tell because it's VERY hard to get on, and in some cases you can't get it bottomed completely. It will also be very difficult to get off. It doesn't take much, only a thousandth or so can make the difference. Best to check before you put it on.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Measure the snout and the bore of the balancer. On a small block chevy snout crank, ATI calls for a interference fit of .0009 to .0012".
X2

So far I all the ATI balancers I have seen needed to be honed to fit.

Becareful not to gaul the balancer on the snout!!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I use a brake cyl hone and shoot for a .001 press fit on mine,, has always worked for me,,Just be carefull it is easy to get to big in a hurry

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I am well aware that many do this,..

BUT
you best not use a "brake cylinder hone"...because the narrow stones can get hung up on the KEYSLOT...and then make the bore not round...

we use a special shaped WIDE hone stone in the rod hone machine...

yer only talkin about a thousandth or two at the most...

many cranks have a MUSHROOM on the very end of the snout of crank..
it has to be accurately MEASURED and polished....

hate for you guys to think that the hub has to be opener up and then only to find out the just the first 1/4 inch of nose of crank was slightly burred up or big....and then the dampener is loose.....!!!!!!

I see this kind of fuck up all the time...

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I use a brake cyl hone and shoot for a .001 press fit on mine,, has always worked for me,,Just be carefull it is easy to get to big in a hurry
A brake hone and honing with a keyed hub! how does that work??? Those ATI balancers are pretty hard I can't imagine how long it would take to hone .002 out of a ATI balancer hub.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I am well aware that many do this,..

BUT
you best not use a "brake cylinder hone"...because the narrow stones can get hung up on the KEYSLOT...and then make the bore not round...

we use a special shaped WIDE hone stone in the rod hone machine...

yer only talkin about a thousandth or two at the most...

many cranks have a MUSHROOM on the very end of the snout of crank..
it has to be accurately MEASURED and polished....

hate for you guys to think that the hub has to be opener up and then only to find out the just the first 1/4 inch of nose of crank was slightly burred up or big....and then the dampener is loose.....!!!!!!

I see this kind of fuck up all the time...
Good Info Above
You are right i guess i should have not posted it as it is not for everyone, and yes you have to be very carefull, and measure every thing espically the crank , If you have no exp doing them this way then you need to take it to a maching shop, Me personally i have used this method for years and have never had a problem, and will continue to do it this way, and you are right about the key slot you have to prep it before you start,,;)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
A brake hone and honing with a keyed hub! how does that work??? Those ATI balancers are pretty hard I can't imagine how long it would take to hone .002 out of a ATI balancer hub.
I should not have posted what i did as Ordinary Builder pointed out, It is not for everyone, but it works , Carl when you dont have machine shop for 70 miles you figure out ways to do things , is it the correct way--no,,but it does work and yes it does take some time to do,, but then agian i am not in a hurry when i build something, you have to take your time and be very carefull,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to anyone reading this post , just take your balancer to your machine shop and have it honed that way if they screw it up they can buy you another hub and you will not get stuck with a hub that is too big and coming out of your own pocket,,, ;)

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
IN REALITY,

WHEN THE CRANK IS BALANCED,

one of the parts that goes to the balancer guy with the rods/pistons/is the dampener and the flywheel..

part of the balance job ( at least when i do it for a cusrtomer ) is the "FIT" the hub on the exact crank...after all, there is NO WAY to balance the crank assembly without having the dampener installed on the crank....

I see this all the time.

some guy brings in "all of the parts" for me to assemble.

and i ask him...WELL, WAS IT BALANCED"...???

and the guy says .... YUP...!!

but I look at the dampener, and attempt to at least put it on with my hands... if it aint no where close to even go on part way,..
then it probably was never actually installed on the crank when it was balanced...

the black coating on the inner hub inside diameter will get at least a little bit scarred up if it was installed...!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts