Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I just sold the 150 lbs. amplifier out of our theater last week. The guy that bought it lives in Taiwan . He had it shipped from my house back to the factory at ATI Technologies in California to have the voltage modified for Taiwan. Then it will be shipped to Taiwan. It was 266.00 dollars just to ship ground to California. He must have really wanted that thing ..

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Yet I can order something for a fucking dollar from China with free shipping that I couldn't ship across the street for less than $8. WTF?!
There's some kind of international trade agreement made by the post office with other countries post offices giving third world countries a much better international rate. China is taking huge advantage of this by still being classified as a third world mailing source, and of course now they should be on a level playing field as the US for shipping costs. The post office is losing money on these Chinese shipments.

Not to mention Chinese drug dealers shipping their crap all over the world.

·
Smuck
3,790 Posts
This is why I don't ship any more, you want the shit come get it.
Sent a 6.5 Diesel air box to California, $43 WTF.
A 12x12x12 5lb box $43
Sent a 6.2 Diesel Radiator shroud to North Carolina, $80.

·
Registered
613 Posts
dont worry, our high costs help offset the cheaper costs the big companys pay

i ship alot of truck frieght, used to ship to the west coast for around 400.00 now its typically no less than 700 for a large skid.......... still not bad, but i loose alot of sales because people think stuff ships free
Who are you using as a broker or freight company?
Over last year shipping ltl shipping has doubled for me. I ship CNC metal working equipment that I refurbish. I have experienced the same thing with customers. They act like I set the shipping cost. Unfortunately sometimes I just charge them my cost of shipping, just so I can get the deal done.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
8,694 Posts
Over last year shipping ltl shipping has doubled for me. I ship CNC metal working equipment that I refurbish. I have experienced the same thing with customers. They act like I set the shipping cost. Unfortunately sometimes I just charge them my cost of shipping, just so I can get the deal done.
Why would customers understand the real cost of shipping, when they get free shipping at many places and don't see the cost added to the items, or pay 100.00 for 2 day shipping for a year membership.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
UPS was $158 to ship a TKO trans from dfw to michigan. The return is supposed to be less than $100 through the company's negotiated rate. I think it is fair considering what it cost 15 years ago and the type of salary I was making then compared to now.

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,422 Posts
i use frieghtqoute.com same rep for atleast 7 yrs, we get a pretty decent rate with them, and we have a unique setup, i will email for quotes, he holds the quotes till the units are ready to ship, when its time to ship i will give the buyer his #, the buyer calls in and arranges pickup, buyer pays direct for shipping costs. few reasons i do it this way, buyer is paying the exact rate, buyer has more control of shipping, im not a pencil pusher and sometimes im not easy to get ahold of during business hours, my guy sits in a cubicle and is pretty easy to get ahold of if an issues comes up, which is rare... a good bit of my buyers dont understand freight shipping, im not trying to pass the issues off to another but my guy can really help make things alot easier for 1st time shippers since he is in control of what trucking line to use, he knows loop holes etc., so much that my guy often gets business from my customers.

years ago i used to use unishippers, i reached out in November the guy i got said they where doing a change over to another name, which owns unishippers. he said it would be a quick process but it didnt happen till 1st or 2nd week of jan, by then most of my work is qouted and 4 weeks out, with them i need to book myself, and i have done alot of my own freight years ago but i like how i do things now, it just works.

now i am picky on who i ship with, only use estes, yrc, fedex frieght ups frieght, i will not use central express or other fuck ups...... im not saying i never had an issue with the carriers i use, as they will all fuck up sooner or later, but they have better track records.

forward air has moved into our area for LTL and gets pretty good rates, used them a couple times so far with really good results.

if your doing you own frieght try unishippers or whatever name they are using

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,422 Posts
Why would customers understand the real cost of shipping, when they get free shipping at many places and don't see the cost added to the items, or pay 100.00 for 2 day shipping for a year membership.
its amazing how people get sucked into the free shipping thing. its never free, just built into the price.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
its amazing how people get sucked into the free shipping thing. its never free, just built into the price.
Amazon is about the only place where it appears to be actual free shipping. A 35lb bag of dog food Is actually a few bucks cheaper than at the store.

We use worldwide Express for our small package or ltl. It's much cheaper and we can select the carrier based on price, guarantees, delivery date, etc. And for the small package stuff, ups comes by and picks it up. It's saved us quite a bit of money going through them. Our boxes used to be $26 to ship, now cost $14

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Everyone keeps bringing up Amazon. How many of you have noticed that they offer rebates if you choose a slower shipping method or to have multiple items shipped together (taking longer)?

So, it seems to me that they are probably taking somewhat of a hit on shipping, and are offering future rebates if you choose something other than your "free 2 day shipping".

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,422 Posts
Amazon is about the only place where it appears to be actual free shipping. A 35lb bag of dog food Is actually a few bucks cheaper than at the store.

We use worldwide Express for our small package or ltl. It's much cheaper and we can select the carrier based on price, guarantees, delivery date, etc. And for the small package stuff, ups comes by and picks it up. It's saved us quite a bit of money going through them. Our boxes used to be $26 to ship, now cost $14
thats who unishippers merged with or some of there franchises re named as. i tried the unishippers ups service years ago, how much do you ship ? does it save that much over a dedicated ups acct with worldship ?

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
If you're in business, you're a FOOL if you don't get a business account with one of the major shippers. 25 years ago, mom worked at a hospital that had a business UPS account... and I could ship though her at work for half the price if I did it on my own.

If you are shipping USPS, do all you can to fit it in a Flat Rate Box. If it won't go in one of those, and you want to do Priority Mail, you'll take one square in the ass.

If you do not have a business account, make good friends with someone who does!
I can't imagine the deals BIG businesses like Amazon get!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I read somewhere UPS added a surcharge of $25 to packages over 50 pounds.
It seems lately they have been
thats who unishippers merged with or some of there franchises re named as. i tried the unishippers ups service years ago, how much do you ship ? does it save that much over a dedicated ups acct with worldship ?
We used to use unishippers and then this lady came by from worldwide express after talking with her the price went down quite a bit for LTL.

We ship out 4 or 5 packages a day. We canceled our ups business account because going through this place saved us a ton.

Before we switched she would give us a quote and it was 15-40% cheaper. No brainer!

·
On the roller...
15,861 Posts
Either negotiate or use a service that does it for you.

I ship things that go from $58.86 to $4.58 with negotiated rates.

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
8,694 Posts

It may "APPEAR free. but it isn't. it is just amazon warehouses can be in the getto's as it doesn't have to be a safe place for customer traffic. nor do they need a clean/ well set up and lit retail showroom/sales floor.
Being able to be in a low rent warehouse over a high rent retail space is the real difference.
the shipping isn't free, you just don't SEE it added to the cost out the door price.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i use frieghtqoute.com same rep for atleast 7 yrs, we get a pretty decent rate with them, and we have a unique setup, i will email for quotes, he holds the quotes till the units are ready to ship, when its time to ship i will give the buyer his #, the buyer calls in and arranges pickup, buyer pays direct for shipping costs. few reasons i do it this way, buyer is paying the exact rate, buyer has more control of shipping, im not a pencil pusher and sometimes im not easy to get ahold of during business hours, my guy sits in a cubicle and is pretty easy to get ahold of if an issues comes up, which is rare... a good bit of my buyers dont understand freight shipping, im not trying to pass the issues off to another but my guy can really help make things alot easier for 1st time shippers since he is in control of what trucking line to use, he knows loop holes etc., so much that my guy often gets business from my customers.

years ago i used to use unishippers, i reached out in November the guy i got said they where doing a change over to another name, which owns unishippers. he said it would be a quick process but it didnt happen till 1st or 2nd week of jan, by then most of my work is qouted and 4 weeks out, with them i need to book myself, and i have done alot of my own freight years ago but i like how i do things now, it just works.

now i am picky on who i ship with, only use estes, yrc, fedex frieght ups frieght, i will not use central express or other fuck ups...... im not saying i never had an issue with the carriers i use, as they will all fuck up sooner or later, but they have better track records.

forward air has moved into our area for LTL and gets pretty good rates, used them a couple times so far with really good results.

if your doing you own frieght try unishippers or whatever name they are using
I have had unishipper quote machines for me never used them though.
I use direct freight out of California. I use same person each time. Alot of the reason I use him is much like you said. He arranges everything and takes care of any problems. I am also 1 man show and do as much as possible to let someone else take care of paper work side of shipping. Most my machines are at least 3000#s. I also try to have customer take care of shipping arrangements if at all possible.
I may try unshippers again. As it has been few years since I tried.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts