Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, shipping rates have gotten stupid.

In January of 2013, I sent my headers to Jet Hot for coating. Shipping was $16.

Today. Same headers, same size box, same address was $56. Cheapest rate.

I thought when the quote from Jet Hot had ~$70 for shipping, that it was odd. I guess not.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It's getting tough to offer free shipping in my business anymore. I have to have a minimum order in order to keep up

·
time to go racing yet ?
31,422 Posts
dont worry, our high costs help offset the cheaper costs the big companys pay

i ship alot of truck frieght, used to ship to the west coast for around 400.00 now its typically no less than 700 for a large skid.......... still not bad, but i loose alot of sales because people think stuff ships free

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Yes, your are exactly right. Shipping has went up dramatically since the 1st of the year. I ship UPS, FedEx, USPS daily and all have went up big.
We ship boxes that are 14x14x18 @63lbs. for 54.50 last year to the lower 48 states. Now it 76.40 just to ship across the street.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Unless its amazon I just ordered 2 watch batteries the total order was $3.75 with shipping they came in a box 6 inches square. It would have easily cost me $10.00 to ship that box alone.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yet I can order something for a fucking dollar from China with free shipping that I couldn't ship across the street for less than $8. WTF?!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think the big shipping companies have cut their prices to big shippers at a "wholesale" price, meanwhile they charge you and me 2x "retail" to offset. Had to ship a headlamp the other day USPS wanted $43, used Fedex for $18.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
It has made many things not at all cost effective any more. Like returning cores or selling heavy but inexpensive items. I used to sell a lot of stock iron intakes and heads and exhaust manifolds but now the shipping costs are double or more what they were a decade ago.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
76,907 Posts
EVERYONE HAS A JOB IN TRUMPS ECONOMY....SO THE BIG BOYS...HAVE NO COMPETITION...SO THE RATES GO UP...HOPEFULLY ALL.OF YOUR PAY DOES AS WELL...OR YOU REALIZE WHICH END OF THE SHIPPIMG BUSINESS YOU ARE ON... :)

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
The idiot scumbags at usps are price gouging now too. I sell lots of random smallish stuff on Ebay...to ship a very small box that weighs less than 1 pound will get you raped in the face for $12-16 . Used to cost around 6 or 7$

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The idiot scumbags at usps are price gouging now too. I sell lots of random smallish stuff on Ebay...to ship a very small box that weighs less than 1 pound will get you raped in the face for $12-16 . Used to cost around 6 or 7$
If its under a pound i use first class for my ebay stuff unless its over say 30 bucks then priority it is. Over a pound and i try to use the regional rate boxes unless it won't fit. I know i try to ship as much as i can in those as it cuts price. Fedex actually reduced prices at the first of the year on my end.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,163 Posts
Size matters. Once it get so big it gets the size and over 70 lbs rates.

I used to ship Honda transmissions in a 20x20x20 box at 80 lbs for $60 in shipping AND materials. Just did a quote last week and it was $125. I had two to ship to ATL. drove then there instead and gas was $2.09-2.22 a gallon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your shipping is subsidizing the shipping for amazon/etc.
but you moroons will still buy from there,
You sure are one dumb motherfucker.
He is correct. Amazon, and others, have the volume, leverage if you will, to extort low rates from USPS, FedEx and UPS. The short fall has to made up from somewhere. Where do you think that comes from? Then add the cost of fuel, aircraft, trucks and the infrastructure to keep it all moving that will only continue to go up and there you have. Don't think for one moment that the individual and small business owner isn't paying higher rates to cover Amazons' and others lower rates. Everyone passes on losses and increases in cost of doing business to someone.

My international sales have dropped from just over 30% to less than 6% and the sole reason is increase in shipping rates.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It's amazing what even a small business can get for negotiated rates compared to list. I just sent labels to an ebay seller for a set of 17" aluminum wheels, the online and counter rate for him was In the $120-145 range. FedEx negotiated rate through my work was $10.xx times 4. Sure ~6 years ago it might have been $7 a box but the difference between retail/advertised and a negotiated rate is nuts.

·
Wart Remover
2,420 Posts
You just need to negotiate better rates. I ship around 20 boxes per day. Yesterday I sent two packages as 1 shipment, 14x14x20 @36lbs and [email protected] from TN to Big Sky MT, and the total was $34.

Pro-Tip, FedEx now accepts up to 180lb packages for regular Ground. I've sent short blocks (aluminum) from TN to WI for around $60.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts