Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scenario. A couple years ago, was at a track rental day, and on pass #5 the trans rolled the sprag. What sucks is the car owner and his buds all convinced me to remove the high side chip cuz they swore I was bouncing it off the limiter at the top of 1st and 2nd (yes i know i should have never listened to them). Anyway i let go of the button at 4800 so who knows where the engine ended up. Dragged the car back to the shop, checked all the lash (which was fine) and all valvetrain opened/closed as it should. Fast forward to 3 weeks ago after finally getting the trans back together, I took the car out. All sounded good, revved quick, no popping/banging/back firing. First and only pass it goes 10.62 @125. The last pass it made before it rolled the sprag was 10.07 @ 132 in virtually the same adjusted altitude. Thought the converter was hurt cuz it was lazy through all gears so I sent it back to ATI and they said all was good. WTF i thought. So after discussion with my machine shop the thought is the valve springs were damaged when it buzzed the motor 2 years ago. Anybody ever deal with something like this? .5 tenths seems to be alot to lose, and ruining all 16 springs seems even more hard to believe. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure i covered the scenario as much as i could.

·
Registered
68,992 Posts
^^^^^^ First place to start / first thing to do --- verify spring pressures.

Second place to check is the fuel system. Your post reads that you just did get back to the track after getting the trans back together and in the car. Did you flush the old fuel out of the fuel system and refill with fresh motion lotion before hitting the track?

Checked or replaced the fuel filter? Fuel pump pressure running where it needs to be with the car going down the track?

·
Registered
18,088 Posts
Sorry man, without knowing your spring pressures you can't determine much of anything. That's like asking how high, is high? If nothing else, get a cheap valve spring checker, even a Moroso will give you the info you need. The spring manufacturer can tell you what the installed height should be as well as what the normal seat pressure is. You need to go from there, because guessing seldom gets you anywhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts