Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a 2000 Jeep WJ as my daily and I just tossed a new (reman) engine in it at the 270000 mile mark since the old one had a cracked head for the last 70000 miles and the oil was more of a black sludge thing. (okay to be honest I was just tired of constantly refilling the radiator with tap water)

Anyhow I found out these things (AMC/JEEP 4.0L I-6) are hydrauclic flat tappet camshaft vehicles so when I started it I gave it a standard flat tappet break in HOWEVER now that that is done I am just running the cheapest oil I could find at advance auto.

Is this a problem for the cam? Should I be using a high zinc oil instead? Should I even give a fuck?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Cheap oil is just that. I would be using Mobil 1 10-30 from Walmart in the $25 jugs. Change it out every 3-5000 miles depending on how much dust you run in. If no dust then 5000 miles. You will be a very old man before you ever have a wear related issue in this engine again. This is the oil I use to get roller lifters to last 100,000 miles on the street with big race cams.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I use name-brand oil, because I know what I am getting. At one time Ashland Refining (Valvoline) was supplying many private-label oil brands, such as NAPA, Advance Auto, etc., but I don't know if that is still the situation or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.