Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 John 3:1, NIV: "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him."

A man I know described how He felt that God viewed him. He said, �I feel like I am a dog on the floor beneath God�s table, scrounging for crumbs.� To Him, he was somehow undeserving of God�s full and rich blessings. It reminds me of a picture of a child with his face pressed against a window, looking into a room where he is not welcome. I confess there are days I feel like I�m on the outside looking in. I hear someone talk about Jesus, or quote scripture, and do it with such heartfelt expression; all the while I feel like I am missing something�or like I�ve lost something. Fortunately for us, our status in God�s house is not dependent upon our feelings. As His children, we do not have to stand outside, pressing our faces against the glass, looking in. All we have to do walk through the door, go in, sit at His table, and find in Him whatever might be missing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Amen,good moring everyone.

Thanks Justin

·
RTCTTFMF
2,221 Posts
Ya'll have a good one! AMEN!!

·
Registered
16,492 Posts
More reading on the subject of "God as a parent":

Divine Parenting: God as an Abusive Father

February 13, 2011 by Hensatri

I will be talking specifically about Christianity in this post. I always shudder when I use that term. No matter what case you make, or how thoroughly you back it up with scripture, tradition, and history, you will ALWAYS find Christians saying “Well that’s not REAL Christianity.” I get so sick of the Scottsman Fallacy, but it is part of the territory. I will arm myself with a Claymore of facts and wade into this battle, expecting the worst.
I want to talk today about the idea of God as a Father. We’ve all heard it ad nauseum. The God concept of Christianity is not just anthropomorphic, but unabashedly andropomorphic. I have recently found myself embroiled in a discussion in which the idea of God as a Father figure was raised. While the focus of that conversation was not on God as a Father figure, I was prompted to reflect on the idea and felt it good fodder for a short post.
If the Christian God is to assume the role of a paragon of fatherhood, then we are inviting an atrocious standard. God might be the worst father figure in all of literature. We commonly hold that unconditional positive regard is a desirable trait in a parent and a necessary component for healthy emotional development. We understand that parents should be merciful and fair to their children. It is a sign of an abusive parent if they are concerned first with discipline and punishment and secondarily with mercy and kindness. We also understand that good parents ought to be patient and understanding of their children and their individual needs.
I can demonstrate that the Christian God is none of these things.
God’s positive regard is not unconditional. The strange thing is that God has no real middle ground when it comes to his regard for us. Either we are worthy of Heaven, or deserving of Hell with no such thing as being “grounded”. The key tenant of Christianity is that we are born, by our innate nature, deserving of Hell. God’s positive regard for us is far from unconditional. His disdain for us is so deep that he considers each and every one of us, from the moment of birth, so bad that not only do we not deserve the reward of Heaven, but we deserve the punishment of Hell. Again, we are Hell-worthy just for having the audacity to have been born. Due to the rebellion of our eldest Brother and Sister the entire rest of the race is blackmailed into respecting this father at the risk of eternal punishment. Depending on the Christian tradition you reference, there are various contritions and acts of prostration a child can make to appease this scorning father figure. To further insult and degrade us, most traditions teach that we are personally incapable of being worthy of this God’s positive regard. No achievement, act of kindness, or personal development will ever be able to gain Father’s approval. Your only possible recourse is to humble yourself before an older brother. Can you imagine being raised in this kind of household?
God is concerned first and foremost with our sin and filth, and what punishments he will dole out if we fail to wash ourselves clean. If God was concerned primarily with being merciful, then he would forgive us for being somewhat dirty innately, and only then punish us if we fell from our innate state. This is not the case. We are condemned from birth for being dirty, and can only hope to earn forgiveness for something we could not possibly help. This would be like a parent who immediately ground his newborn baby child. When asked “Why ground your child the moment it is born?” he replies, “Children are dirty!” God keeps us grounded, and we can only get ungrounded if we wash ourselves perfectly clean (by demeaning ourselves before Jesus as mentioned earlier). But we must always take care, because if we get dirty again then we are re-grounded until we clean ourselves. This is both mean-spirited and short-sighted of God. A responsible parent realizes that children are a little dirty and this is to be expected. If you didn’t want anything in your house to get dirty then you should not have brought children into it. Punishing us for the way we are born is disgusting behavior. If a child is born gimp and his Father beats him for it, we would find that villainous.
Lastly I say that God is not understanding and compassionate to the individual needs of his children. Some children will listen to what God has to say without question, and that is fine, but there will always be those children who ask “why”. There will always be some children that do not seem to posses the inherent instinct for obeying orders until their reason is sated. A good parent is patient with the child that asks questions. A good parent provides the reasons for why we must hold hand when crossing the road. A good parent also understands angst, rebelliousness, and all of the other phases children will go through. God has some children with greater emotional and intellectual needs than other children, and refuses them the kind of reassurance and understanding that he so readily hands out to the children who lack these special needs. If there were no negative consequence for leaving these curiosities unsatisfied then we might be able to only call the parent mean, but when eternal harm is in the balance, and the parent still refuses to help their child (especially when helping the child would be trifling easy for the parent to do), this is certainly criminal neglect.
If you want to place God upon a pedestal as a Father figure to be admired and emulated, then I question your idea of fatherhood. I want to be spiteful and demand that people who believe this put their parenting where their mouth is. I want someone to put God’s parenting methods into practice and see how long it take Child Services to relieve them of the responsibility, but I can’t in good conscious make that challenge. I can’t do it because accepting that challenge would mean a miserable, degrading, and dehumanizing experience for whatever poor children belonged to that household.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.