Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2011 enclosed and thought I'd mention what I found today. It obviously came with the standard 4 D-rings in the corners. But they were attached with 1/4" flat phillips head, self piercing machine screws that were wound down through the plywood and into a metal backup plate.

No way I was trusting those screws so I went and got 3/8 grade 8 bolts, washers and nuts. Now the best part is when I went to remove the screws, all four of the ones in the left front ring were already snapped off even with the metal. It was obvious they had been broken by the torque of tightening them at the plant. Nothing was actually holding that anchor in place!

Just thought I'd mention it. Maybe take a look at yours if you have one of the less expensive trailers.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
what brand trailer?

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's called a Royal Cargo. But I had a single axle cargo for the Harley, bought new and it was screwed together pretty much the same way as this one. Just couldn't believe they would do the anchors that way. I personally believe they are all built about the same unless you get into the more expensive brands.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
With a box tubing frame, I use a leaf spring square top u-bolt with the ends through a steel plate with the D ring bracket welded to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts