Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would cause pits in a Cylinder Head.. I have a SBC with an F1R on now 16lbs of boost . The Drive side head has some pitting ... Whats going on here

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am by no means a pro but that looks like damage from detonation. Is there any pitting on the pistons too? Hopefully someone who is a pro will chime in and say I am either right or a knucklehead lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am by no means a pro but that looks like damage from detonation. Is there any pitting on the pistons too? Hopefully someone who is a pro will chime in and say I am either right or a knucklehead lol
The pistons look OK , but then again i didn't really clean the carbon of them .. I noticed the pitting on the head when i was cleaning them ...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Have they been welded before? Looks like that or a casting flaw to me. Im on my phone so the pic might be deceiving.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd take another closer look at those pistons and make sure you didn't lift the ring lands a bit around the intake valves.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Pull the valves out and check the condition of the seats and valve job , if they are beat up you may have a detonation problem . Make sure the installed height is not getting taller also ( beating the seats into the head ) . It could be a bad casting also ( porosity ) causing the pits to show up . Almost looks like a piece of the head is missing between the valves but the pic doesn't show the other chambers to see if they are all like that .

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pull the valves out and check the condition of the seats and valve job , if they are beat up you may have a detonation problem . Make sure the installed height is not getting taller also ( beating the seats into the head ) . It could be a bad casting also ( porosity ) causing the pits to show up . Almost looks like a piece of the head is missing between the valves but the pic doesn't show the other chambers to see if they are all like that .
Yes , that's the plan ... I haven't really took the motor all apart yet , but I agree with the detonation . The odd thing is its only the driver side head .. I'm going to switch to E85 over the winter , hopefully that will help with the detonation...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts