Yellow Bullet Forums banner

5161 - 5180 of 5205 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I have a dumb question for you Chad but was wondering if you ever do any flow testing on the exhaust side with headers hooked up to the head as well as pulling the intake port numbers with the intake and maybe carb installed? I didnt know if getting flow numbers with the headers on would help as a tuning tool. Thanks

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I have a dumb question for you Chad but was wondering if you ever do any flow testing on the exhaust side with headers hooked up to the head as well as pulling the intake port numbers with the intake and maybe carb installed? I didnt know if getting flow numbers with the headers on would help as a tuning tool. Thanks
never tried that

·
Registered
16 Posts
HTML:
Doing a SRH CNC Pro-Filer 13 degree for a street car.
Chad, do you open the port into the common head bolt hole like is done on your 23 degree heads ? This is where some people use sleeves.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know a BBC Superstock racer and engine builder that does that.....and he has won a lot of class trophies and set a lot of records....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I was thinking it could be used to see how different header tube size would really help and which size is more of a choke and restriction. Just thinking out loud really

·
I kill parts
9,828 Posts
I've read quite a few do it on the intake side, but doubt the exhaust side would show any sort of reality. To many differences in the dynamics of a running motor vs a flow bench, especially on the exhaust side.

Many don't really pay attention to flow numbers on the exhaust, mostly just port size/shape and how it "sounds" on the bench. You can typically hear the difference between a good/happy exhaust port and one that isn't.

·
35,217 Posts
People doing exhaust port testing with a header on a flow bench do not understand the working of a 4 stroke internal combustion engine. That type of test is through the lens of a flow tester for no other reason, than to get the best flowing port they can. But that does not indicate what is right for a running engine.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
Brzezinski is well known in circle track racing circles I think he also sells the fixtures he is using with his flow bench.

·
35,217 Posts
Brzezinski is well known in circle track racing circles I think he also sells the fixtures he is using with his flow bench.
You could probably find a lot of names attached to flow testing an exhaust port like that.... but the names attached do not give credibility to the test.

·
Registered
8,292 Posts
You could probably find a lot of names attached to flow testing an exhaust port like that.... but the names attached do not give credibility to the test.
I'm sure you are right, he does not say why he does it, he's just explaining how he does it and how to do it fast. I don't think a lot of headers would fit on most benches anyway.

5161 - 5180 of 5205 Posts