Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm overlooking something, and wondering why this would be. If a class permits the Yates SC1 cylinder head for Fords, what would be the reasoning behind not allowing SB2.2 on Chevys?

The old series I used to run permits the SC1 but no SB2 type heads. Am I wrong in thinking these cylinder heads are relatively close in performance, style, etc?

I know they both have some funky valve angles, and have the same type of intake and exhaust port configuration and can both flow some real numbers if worked properly.

Not really trying to get a rule changed or anything since there are other series I could run, just seeing if I'm missing something as to why one would be allowed and not the other. I kind of thought they were a similar head, as far as what they were designed to do.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
maybe because the yates yead is bases off of an actual factory produced small block ford head (cleavland)?
no sbc ever came from the factory with a canted valve head.
personally i would let them run but i do not have the only vote on this.
we had hell even getting the yates stuff in until we convinced the guys that Billy Glidden was not going to come and run the class.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe because the yates yead is bases off of an actual factory produced small block ford head (cleavland)?
no sbc ever came from the factory with a canted valve head.
personally i would let them run but i do not have the only vote on this.
we had hell even getting the yates stuff in until we convinced the guys that Billy Glidden was not going to come and run the class.

I don't think a Cleveland head ever had a 7 or 0 degree valve angle though did it? But for the record, at least the SB 2.2 has a Chevrolet part number on it. Do the Yates heads have a Ford part # cast into them? Not being a smartass, I just don't know the answer

Like I said, I wasn't looking for a rule change. Just trying to understand the difference since both heads are primarily run on roundy roundy stuff be it dirt or asphault. And one was kinda built to compete with the other from what I gather.

But yes John I totally understand, about the rules. It is what it is, who knows maybe someday they'll change.

·
Registered
7,748 Posts
I don't think a Cleveland head ever had a 7 or 0 degree valve angle though did it? But for the record, at least the SB 2.2 has a Chevrolet part number on it. Do the Yates heads have a Ford part # cast into them? Not being a smartass, I just don't know the answer

Like I said, I wasn't looking for a rule change. Just trying to understand the difference since both heads are primarily run on roundy roundy stuff be it dirt or asphault. And one was kinda built to compete with the other from what I gather.

But yes John I totally understand, about the rules. It is what it is, who knows maybe someday they'll change.
Look on fordracing.com and you will get your part number

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look on fordracing.com and you will get your part number

Cool, I had no idea whether these were offered through Ford or not. The only pair I've ever even seen was a set of Edelbrocks, or at least I thought they were Edelbrocks.

I know about as much about Ford parts as I do about quantum physics. Which is less than zero.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Its a Mustang World and your just a Material Girl LOL

Its all Mustang, all the time anymore.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally, I'd let them run because they are what each respective brand uses in NASCAR competition and we all know that FAGCAR wants everything as equal as possible.

As far as the SC1's having a Ford PN...they've been available through Ford Racing for atleast 8 years that I know of. Factory Cleveland valve angle, it's 9.5*

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
The term "canted" gets miss used a lot. The valves on a Cleveland head (and a Yates) are "rotated". The difference is, a "canted" valve angles the valve toward the center of the cylinder instead of paralleling the cylinder wall. Meaning: the more the valve opens, the further is moves AWAY from the cylinder wall. Obviously, the more you move the head of the valve away from the cylinder wall, the more unshrouded it becomes and the more air can be flowed. The Yates heads have the valves rotated up toward the intake, or down toward the exhaust, but they are not "canted" (they don't angle toward the center of the cylinder bore).

Brodix Neal's have the factory Cleveland valve angles, as do the Yates heads. (edit, I got treed on that fact, LOL)

The only real difference I can see between the SB2.2 and Yates heads is the intake ports. They both have a raised intake port, but the SB2.2 has all the ports angled toward the center of the engine, where as the Yates has them all at 90 degrees, which can create distribution problems with a single 4 barrel intake due to having 4 short runners and 4 long ones. Other than that, I'd say they are very evenly matched.

I hope that helps answer your question.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts