Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris,
I know you are always talking about Small blocks but was wondering who makes a good BBC head. I am looking to build around a 500 ci Big block and looking to make around 800hp on motor but will be used for nitrous. I am looking at the AFR 345cc heads also looking into brodix 18* stuff. Looking for any and all info on BBC heads from everyone, ups downs, also is there a such thing as too much flow when it comes to cyl heads?

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
On the flow deal. It's important to focus on the cross section of the port, relative to the flow of the port. These will be important to relate to the CID and RPM potential/rpm goals, and acceleration potential in the rpm window of those goals.

In other words, you need to be carefull not to follow flow numbers, that are generated with large cross section, large volume runners, that MAY be too large for the CID and RPM, and the weight of the vehicle. I'm stating this more so for the Big Block, because it's easy to do with a big block.... MANY of the heads out there are too large for a heavy car, with a 500 inch engine, operating at a bracket race type rpm window.

The nitrous changes the equation for many, but I don't believe in building a fat sloppy engine that won't get out of its own way until you empty a bottle of nitrous to it with king kong jets....

So what are your goals?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My goals are to run in the mid to upper 8sec range on nitrous in a 3200-3400lb car.

I think this is a pretty easy goal to reach with under 500ci since there are small blocks with less cubic inches with 23 degree stuff doing close to the same.

car has stock suspention with 10' tires.Th400 trans w/ brake,(new for BB was th350 w/ sbc)

I am not set on anything and am in the early stages of planning the motor.
Trying to collect as much info as possible before making wrong decisions like you mention above

I get what you are saying about the fat sloppy engine and that is what I don't want, my small block I have ran real good up stairs but I beleave had too much camshaft at almost 700" lift for a small iron head 385 with 11:1. it was a slug out of the hole with 1.75 60ft at 12.20 but performed decent on 175 shot with 1.52 at 10.86.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I use the Canfield BBC a lot. They ALWAYS outperform the AFR and the Brodix -2 or the -2X's. Canfield offers them in 4 different intake volumes and 3 different combistion chamber volumes.

CFE has his own CNC program for them. A little bird told me it was like a private lable deal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts