Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was given a good clean 150 gal propane tank. still has about 5 gals in it. the propane place will not recert it because of the rust under the data plate (it is pretty bad). i can bleed off the rest of the propane no problem....BUT

how do i cut it.. wanting to build a nice BBQ pit out of it.
i have heard of people filling them with water crossing their fingers and lighting the tourch....lol

any sugestions???

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,554 Posts
How are you going to put up a post like this while having the signature line that you do?

·
Registered
12,060 Posts
A/C vacuum pump it before you fire up?

H-D Sawzall might be the ticket.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How are you going to put up a post like this while having the signature line that you do?

ROFLMAO....

i agree.....but i figured i could sucker someonelse to cut it....NOT ME

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
No have someone ELSE video it ...

cause he's gonna blow the fuck up!!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
shoot it 1st from 100 yards away & if it don't blow up your all good. I guess you should empty it 1st if you want. :smt068

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Cutting a Propane Tank

First Advise: DON'T

Second: If you just must, at least drain it, evacuate it and fill it with an inert gas.

Third: Take out a sizable life insurance policy and name me as your benificary.

And, as the guy suggested; have someone else videotape it for us, from a distance. Think of it as your legacy.

It's been good knowing you.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
cutting torch should work great as long as you keep the little bit of propane that is in it on the bottom of the tank, and be careful not to set the video camera up to close to you while you do it as we would like to get the whole effect of the explosion no I mean whole effect of the process, :smt082

Please post video after you get out of the hospital

·
Smoke Em if you got Em
12,831 Posts
empty it out. Remove the nozzle allow the tank to be open to the air for a week, then cut away!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Whats that motivational poster............ Sometimes you have to realize is that your only purpose in life is to be a lesson for others.

Just kidding hahaha, I would only do it if I knew it was EMPTY, flush it with water a bunch then fill it with water (not under pressure) and take a cut off wheel to it.

Even then its not worth the risk.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I see another one of those, Hey guy's Watch this stories in the making. Really though an inert gas would be the only way I would try that, water would not get into all the very small places inside the tank, but then after you puncture it all the gas would be gone, I would Google how to do it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
We did a 200 gallon tank.Take the valve off and fill it with water and let it sit for a few days full of water.When you get ready to cut put the waterhose in it and let it run slow.Then torch away.It will pop a little but once you get the first cut done your good to go.The water takes a few days to get into all the pores in the metal that the propane is trapped in.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
We did a 200 gallon tank.Take the valve off and fill it with water and let it sit for a few days full of water.When you get ready to cut put the waterhose in it and let it run slow.Then torch away.It will pop a little but once you get the first cut done you won't feel a thing.The water takes a few days to get into all the pores in the metal that the propane is trapped in.
*** fixed.

Let's define "pop a little".

g

1 - 20 of 60 Posts