Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching/looking at all the cool stuff you guys cook I figure this was the place to ask about knifes. Wife was cooking supper an was having a hard time cutting stuff up. I went over to make fun of her not being able to cut stuff up. Set we have must have come over on the Mayflower. I don't thing you could even stab anyone :eek: Need a set around $200. or less. I know nothing about them but you guys do !! TIA !

·
Sizeable Member
7,717 Posts
Other than being dull, is the set any good? Anything can be sharpened.
That being said, as far as inexpensive knife sets go Chicago Cutlery is usually a good bet. They're reasonably priced, made pretty well, easy to sharpen and they hold an edge decent.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Don’t focus on a set but a couple decent knives. I prefer a standard chefs knife or a 7” santuko for normal cutting/chopping duties.

I’m sure there are some cheaper brands out there but I have both Wustof and Cutco and they hold a great edge and can be resharpened for many years to come.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I somehow ended up with a Victorinox pairing knife and the thing is razor sharp. Kinda chincy in the handle but very nice edge. Never heard of them before this.

·
SMOKED IT
3,314 Posts
G16Red- Professional Kitchen Knives Custom Made Damascus Steel are less then $200 and are scary sharp. They are high maintenance though. Have to keep them oiled or they will rust.

·
Former RJ instigator
38,995 Posts
No matter what you end up buying they will get dull with use and you'll be back to square one, invest in a good knife sharpener or learn how to use a sharpening stone would be my recommendation.

But if you're dead set on buying some new knives, click the link below.

Here's a nice Chicago cutlery set, block even has a sharpener in it.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts

Also look at Wusthof. I've had a set for nearly two decades. Run them over the steel before using then sharpen once or twice a year. I use a Chef's Choice sharpener.

If you really want to get into it look at Asian style knives. 15 degree angle and thinner blades for less resistance.

Truth is you'll drive yourself nuts trying to sift through all the information.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also look at Wusthof. I've had a set for nearly two decades. Run them over the steel before using then sharpen once or twice a year. I use a Chef's Choice sharpener.
Truth is you'll drive yourself nuts trying to sift through all the information.
I like the way they look.. Checking them out after lunch. I did figure YB was the best info of real world results :cool:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I use an old set of Gerber Balance plus. Started collecting them 30 years ago. Are you sure your current set is not worth saving with a good professional sharpening and proper upkeep?

·
Registered
13,439 Posts
Shun > Wusthof. Shun offers free sharpening for the life of the knife I believe.

Santoku 7"

If you are not careful with good knives you will bleed... a lot.

·
Idiot Savant
162,794 Posts
This will solve your problem.....

On top of that keep a good steel handy. Use it to knock the burrs off between sharpenings.

I use 11° on boning knives, 15 to 20° on my wife's knives, and 23 on my general purpose knives. My wife like 11° on everything.

Ya just cain't throw a knife away as soon as it gets dull.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,159 Posts
What about sharpening a Ceramic knife blade? $15 Farberware for example.

I did bleed early on when using it, but now it has dulled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts