Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I built a 7.50 mild steel chassi, but after starting up a company with my brother I dont have time to go racing so I'm rebuilding for street use. Built my own a-arms and so on but the one thing the car inspectors whined about was that I welded the spline ends on my shafts. So I'm looking for a company that can custom build me some shafts that fits what I already built. I used the steering rack from a Volvo 240 so the splines might be abit unusuall.

Anyone have any tips on who I should turn to??

This is how it looks at the moment.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
If you slid part of the "splind" end up into the tube...maybe you can drill a hole and put a bolt through it to satisfy them. Plus that is a good safety measure in case of a weld breaking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not enough material to slide them far enough to get a bolt thru. I hade just about enough just to get them centered in the tube. Just find it funny that with everything else that i welded, like the controll arms, they thing this is the thing that will break.

·
Registered
11,729 Posts
It probably wont break.....but "if" it does....wow :(.I've always wanted a "shoulder" on any piece like that to slide into the tube..then a couple of "rossett" welds or a bolt (just in case of "if").

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, I think the damage that would happen IF it breaks warrants a few precautions. Just too bad I don't have the equipment to make splines. If so I could just make some with longer sleeves and bolt them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts