Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at having a custom 1 piece suit done, was looking for some recommendations, preferably in the houston area but I'm having trouble finding anybody. Austin seems to be the closest which is honestly further than i care go. So that leaves giving measurements over the phone. Called vanson already and may just go with then, just looking for other options i guess. Roadrace/track days not drag racing if it matters. Thanks guys

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,992 Posts
Vanson....best out there, Bates is overpriced and not near tu he same quality.
Ask for Matt.......
Agree. Laid my money down last week. Next suit to get stitched.

·
Registered
308 Posts
For a road racing suit, if you really need a custom fit suit, try pilotmotorsport.com. I've had a couple of them and they are excellent one piece road racing suits. I have no experience with them but I see that agvsportusa.com is now making "made to measure " suits.

I'm pretty average size for a motorcycle racer, so I have pretty good luck with off the shelf suits but different brands can fit much differently, the biggest problem area with a one piece can be in the shoulder to crotch length, which depending on the brand of suit and your build type/ torso length, you can end up with a "ballcrusher". If you think you could use an off the shelf suit, your options are endless, ranging from entry level at $500.00 ish all the way up to $3000.00.....................but I suppose if you go custom you have exactly what you want and how you want it.

Vanson is great but as far as I know they are geared more towards drag suits, never seen one road racing, and the two types of suits are VERY different.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If you're a normally proportioned guy, I would probably go shelf for a road racing suit. There are enough options in my opinion.

I travel frequently enough and was able to get fitted at the Bates shop. While I have been happy with what I got, it took 3 months vs the quoted 3 weeks, and the fit isn't so good that I would go back. NJK does nice work for less money and less time. Can't speak on any of the companies in TX.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agree. Laid my money down last week. Next suit to get stitched.
Sent Matt S an email on friday after getting my measurements right, haven't heard back yet. Figured i'd give them til the end of the week to at least respond. Maybe i should call. They were really good about sending me a packet with samples and shit so so far i've been happy.

For a road racing suit, if you really need a custom fit suit, try pilotmotorsport.com. I've had a couple of them and they are excellent one piece road racing suits. I have no experience with them but I see that agvsportusa.com is now making "made to measure " suits.

I'm pretty average size for a motorcycle racer, so I have pretty good luck with off the shelf suits but different brands can fit much differently, the biggest problem area with a one piece can be in the shoulder to crotch length, which depending on the brand of suit and your build type/ torso length, you can end up with a "ballcrusher". If you think you could use an off the shelf suit, your options are endless, ranging from entry level at $500.00 ish all the way up to $3000.00.....................but I suppose if you go custom you have exactly what you want and how you want it.

Vanson is great but as far as I know they are geared more towards drag suits, never seen one road racing, and the two types of suits are VERY different.
I'm still hoping this Vanson thing works out, but I'm all done chasing companies for me to give them my money. Learned that lesson a while ago. I'll check out the companies you listed, thanks for the heads up.

If you're a normally proportioned guy, I would probably go shelf for a road racing suit. There are enough options in my opinion.

I travel frequently enough and was able to get fitted at the Bates shop. While I have been happy with what I got, it took 3 months vs the quoted 3 weeks, and the fit isn't so good that I would go back. NJK does nice work for less money and less time. Can't speak on any of the companies in TX.
I'd go with a shelf one too but my monkey arms make buying a regular shirt all but impossible for me. Too much money for me not to get it fitting exactly right.

Thoughts on Spidi? As much as i'm trying to support an American company their website for custom suit ordering is really on point. Plus they offer kangaroo.

See you have a new avatar, you not on the busa anymore?

Jesse!!
You in Texas now?
I see norcal is a ghost town anymore.
Darren!! Yea been in south tx for work for a little while now. Norcal is dead, they have a facebook group that i'm part of but i'm not really on facebook so i couldn't tell you what's going on. Didn't know you moved up to WA. How's it treating you?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I'd go with a shelf one too but my monkey arms make buying a regular shirt all but impossible for me. Too much money for me not to get it fitting exactly right.

Thoughts on Spidi? As much as i'm trying to support an American company their website for custom suit ordering is really on point. Plus they offer kangaroo.

See you have a new avatar, you not on the busa anymore? ?
No experience with Spidi, sorry. I've heard kangaroo is really nice, but again, no experience. My bates gloves are probably my favorite piece of gear, and they're made of lamb skin. I don't know if anyone doesn't entire suits out of lamb skin, but if they do, I want one.

The busa is gone, needed a change. I'm running an older Suzuki promod now, and it's a blast. Completely different ride than a no-bar bike as all the work is done early. It flat hauls dick to the 330, but not much going on from there forward. There just isn't much to do with bikes anymore, so I may hang up the leathers. I bought a small tire mustang roller about a month ago, hoping to have it ready for next year.

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,992 Posts
No experience with Spidi, sorry. I've heard kangaroo is really nice, but again, no experience. My bates gloves are probably my favorite piece of gear, and they're made of lamb skin. I don't know if anyone doesn't entire suits out of lamb skin, but if they do, I want one.

The busa is gone, needed a change. I'm running an older Suzuki promod now, and it's a blast. Completely different ride than a no-bar bike as all the work is done early. It flat hauls dick to the 330, but not much going on from there forward. There just isn't much to do with bikes anymore, so I may hang up the leathers. I bought a small tire mustang roller about a month ago, hoping to have it ready for next year.
the advantage of kangaroo skin is its so damn tough it doesn't have to be as thick.Which is why it's used in gloves a lot.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
So on Vanson leathers does anyone get the padding/armor in the shoulders, elbows or knees or does everyone rely on the “grind” Kevlar they sandwich in those areas? It’s seems to me some padding would be nice protection but Vanson says for drag racing it’s rarely ordered. Thoughts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check Syed in Orlando, Florida. He did a set for my wife that is, simply put, awsome craftsmanship. I'm going to get a set from him myself once we get back to doing regular track days.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,642 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts