Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a cam ground for a sbford for a new short block..l have a nice cam now and would like for it to measured and then a new cam ground to match..who is a good cam company to can go this ??

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes l called bullet and they said $510 ...I called Herbert cams and he had good information also and half the price...Any delt with them lately ?? It is a hydraulic not a roller

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Yes l called bullet and they said $510 ...I called Herbert cams and he had good information also and half the price...Any delt with them lately ?? It is a hydraulic not a roller
Good luck getting good hyd flat tappet lifters....Delphi plant scrapped the entire flat tappet lifter production line 2 years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point..who makes the best hydraulic lifter now (not a roller ) for oval track racing ? Thanks

·
Registered
614 Posts
CNC doesn't mean better - it's only faster.
Many times with cnc ground cams one can see the stepper resolution on the surface.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I am in Australia & we have been refacing flat tappet factory lifters for decades due to the high cost of new ones. They are then as good as new. If you want a set of quality lifters, reface factory lifters or lifters that were made before they came from China, Mexico etc.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Many good ones out there, +1 on bullet.. They did mine and it has worked well. Mark there helped me to define the specs. Also got my Morel 5436 lifters from them.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Looking to get a cam ground for a sbford for a new short block..l have a nice cam now and would like for it to measured and then a new cam ground to match..who is a good cam company to can go this ??
To do this 100%, they would have to profile your cam, make a new master (or two if it has different lobes on the intake and exhaust) then use that to make a new cam. This is cost prohibitive, plus you are working off a copy of a copy... of a well used lobe.

What any cam grinder will likely do, is profile your cam and choose some similar existing lobe masters, and produce your camshaft that way.

You may be ahead to go with a professional, give them all of your engine/car specs, your expectations, and what you do with the car... and let them produce a modern grind that will have a very similar personality to the old one, yet make significantly more power. Mike Jones and Bullet would both be good choices for what you want.

Good Luck

1 - 20 of 36 Posts