Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have always thought conventional meant CONVENTIONAL valve angle.
Since when did a 15* small block ford head become conventional??

·
Registered
3,300 Posts

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
That "conventional" word is a royal pain in the ass. I think that the 15* Victor is conventional because it is still an inline head, I also think the Chevy heads listed above are too. As stated above, the "factory" valve angle heads generally get a break over the other "conventional" heads and they should. The twisted wedge, Yates and SB2's are not conventional.

. . . just my 2 cents

·
Registered
780 Posts
That "conventional" word is a royal pain in the ass. I think that the 15* Victor is conventional because it is still an inline head, I also think the Chevy heads listed above are too. As stated above, the "factory" valve angle heads generally get a break over the other "conventional" heads and they should. The twisted wedge, Yates and SB2's are not conventional.

. . . just my 2 cents
totally agree

·
Tellin' it like it is
9,795 Posts
Most sanctioning bodies around here give Twisted Wedge heads a pass because they aren't any better than a top shelf inline head. Regarding Fords, the Yates/Cleveland type stuff is what is usually considered an "unconventional" head.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Most sanctioning bodies around here give Twisted Wedge heads a pass because they aren't any better than a top shelf inline head. Regarding Fords, the Yates/Cleveland type stuff is what is usually considered an "unconventional" head.
I know, same here.
I just think its a bogus argument, valve angle leaves alot on the table as far as taking or adding weight. I just like to hear peoples reasoning for saying a 20* head is at such a disadvantage. You can go back to the old Holley Systemax heads that were I believe 15* or 18* heads and yet they cant hold a candle to a max effort H-P or Kuntz Track1

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agree with Charles. Conventional is determined by valve layout BUT +/- 2-3 degrees from factory spec is also usually stipulated for legality.

·
Registered
780 Posts
i agree on the valve angle change adding or subtracting weight but this head being an inline head makes it a conventional head.....IMO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts