Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just watched a guy on youtube, he did this almost exact swap except with a 12v. if you look for JYDOG(his channel), he shows all about moving the driveline, all the adapters needed, and wiring. Was pretty cool as he retained the use of his gauge cluster, factory trans, radiator, he even used the 6.4 fan/fan clutch

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
my $0.02 having done a few 4wd tow trucks, get a SAE 2 bellhousing, use a allison with a divorced Tcase and don;t fuck around with the factory driveline stuff, you can get the allison 5 speed fairly cheap and a divorced Tcase fixes the front drive shaft angularity and the rear shaft being to long on those truck.
I haven't heard of doing this, I'll read up on it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
jakes84k10 I just watched a guy on youtube, he did this almost exact swap except with a 12v. if you look for JYDOG(his channel), he shows all about moving the driveline, all the adapters needed, and wiring. Was pretty cool as he retained the use of his gauge cluster, factory trans, radiator, he even used the 6.4 fan/fan clutch

I sometimes question doing it, then I see guys on FB on a couple 6.4 groups post about injector work etc which that alone will pay for the swap. seems like a no brainer every angle I look at it.

A set of injectors, and a S480 and compound it and it will be more power than the 6.4.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey Twisted,
Where are you at with this project?
Been doing some research myself on this exact swap. Something to consider if the torque curve is different with the cummins vs powerstroke. The f450 has a taller hear in it and going to put your cummins about maxed out on the highway. Either have to turn the Cummins up, or change the gears in the f450.
Keep us up to date on this swap. Believe me, I know it's a stressful decision. Only thing go through my mind is what if I fix it and spend all that money and it breaks again (the 6.4 that is)??

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hey Twisted,
Where are you at with this project?
Been doing some research myself on this exact swap. Something to consider if the torque curve is different with the cummins vs powerstroke. The f450 has a taller hear in it and going to put your cummins about maxed out on the highway. Either have to turn the Cummins up, or change the gears in the f450.
Keep us up to date on this swap. Believe me, I know it's a stressful decision. Only thing go through my mind is what if I fix it and spend all that money and it breaks again (the 6.4 that is)??
I have had the truck just sitting trying to decide.
So I got with a buddy that has a shop. He is pulling the cab and seeing if it only needs a head gasket. (He be!ieves) or it there are other problems. So right now the plan is if it's a single headgasket, it will be fixed and then I am trading it. If for some reason it is more I'll bring it home and do the conversion.

As far as gearing I put 3.73 gears in it 2yrs ago. I love the truck, and how it handles the trailers. Its paid for, and in excellent shape otherwise.

I've since talked to a few people that have done it and they all say the same, do it right and clean and you'll love it. All have used the stock convertor. The trick seems to be in lockup.

Then if I pull the trigger I'll do compounds, the stock turbo paired with an hx55.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice....the research I have found, I highly doubt its "just" a head gasket. I hope that is the case tho.
I was thinking mine was a head issue and ended up needing an entire short block along with a little head work.

I just opted to go 12 valve. Just picked up a 160k non molested 12 valve and start with that. Do performance mods as necessary until I am happy!!
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh, and where did you get your gears from? If you don't mind me asking, how much was the gear swap?

Yeah I'm aware it may be more, hence the game plan.

Ring and pinion set link. Cheaper than any gear vendors or other "fix". It made it a different truck.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you need a set of 6.4 heads, I just got mine from the machine shop.
They are all good and ready to go. I chose not to oring them.
I'll give ya a good deal if you need them.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts