Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 F650 with a 5.9 Cummins 24valve engine. Last week while towing it cut off abrubtly. I restarted it and it idled but it didnt respond to throttle at all. I guess it went into limp mode. WEll it finally decided to move and we limped it to the shop.

It will start and idle now...but if you try to drive it will randomly cut off. The truck runs smooth and doesnt skip. I borrowed a scanner and found a few things (not the best scanner).

At idel it flows .33 gal/hr around 1500 rpms it will flow 1.5 or so. Under load driving it will go to 2.0 gal/hr. Are these figures normal?

It also shows an inactive code for low fuel pressure.

I suspect the injector pump or fuel pressure regulator is the culprit. Recently all 6 injectors have been replaced/oil changed/and fuel servicing has been done. This was done 4k miles ago.

Any ideas on what to check next or should i just take it to a cummins dealer and let them diagnose it.

·
Hit Em In Da Mouf Racing
15,445 Posts
start with the lift pump .....turn ignition key forward but do not start.....pump should run for 10-20 seconds .....secondly check injector pump ..sometimes they will idle and creep with a bad pump ..third ..check fuel control module .....think it is located on side of engine ...not sure .....might help

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Send a pm to cumminatya!!!!! He will tell you what is wrong.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think the 2005's have a lift pump...i might be wrong though. I think all they got is an injector pump VP44 or something. I will pm Cumminatya.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Actually the newer model F-650's that come with a 5.9 common rail cummins engine generally come with the "industrial" version of the 5.9. You will notice the difference by the cp3 injection pump actually mounting on the flywheel housing instead of the usual front covers. If this is the case, the lift pump will be mounted to the rear side of the trucks ECM, which is located on the driver side of the engine. Like stated above, bump the key and listen to hear the buzz of the pump for a few seconds. If you dont hear it, then replace the lift pump. I read that you have recently had the injectors replaced. A bad injector could also be the culprit but I would lean towards the lift pump. Call me if you have any questions. 678-416-3865

·
Registered
378 Posts
One more thing...there is a factory installed fuel filter on the F-650's that is mounted close to the driver side frame rail next to the engine. This filter has two hard plastic fuel lines that run to it with some plastic clips to hold the lines on. It actually looks like a little metal cylinder. Dont know if you have ever changed that filter but i have seen it cause similar issues on some F-650's. This is not the fuel filter located on the engine, therefore many places do not change it during a service. Might wanna check that out as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Gonna need an injector pump.

We had one at the dealership I worked at that did the same thing only it would happen at random times. We had a shop replace a bunch of shit in the fuel system and while I was taking it on a test drive it completely died and would restart. $1,000 worth of injector pump later the truck was running fine and the customer was happy.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the newer model F-650's that come with a 5.9 common rail cummins engine generally come with the "industrial" version of the 5.9. You will notice the difference by the cp3 injection pump actually mounting on the flywheel housing instead of the usual front covers. If this is the case, the lift pump will be mounted to the rear side of the trucks ECM, which is located on the driver side of the engine. Like stated above, bump the key and listen to hear the buzz of the pump for a few seconds. If you dont hear it, then replace the lift pump. I read that you have recently had the injectors replaced. A bad injector could also be the culprit but I would lean towards the lift pump. Call me if you have any questions. 678-416-3865
Exactly...there is a pump on the drivers side of the motor on the flywheel housing. There is a ECM looking thing that has fuel flowing into it on the drivers side...( i guess thats how it calculates flow usage).

There is no buzzing other than the electric over hydraulic brake system which is rather loud.

I will call you when i get to to the shop. The fuel tube going to #4 injector has a bad pulsing or vibration to it....all the other fuel tubes feel smooth and nice.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing...there is a factory installed fuel filter on the F-650's that is mounted close to the driver side frame rail next to the engine. This filter has two hard plastic fuel lines that run to it with some plastic clips to hold the lines on. It actually looks like a little metal cylinder. Dont know if you have ever changed that filter but i have seen it cause similar issues on some F-650's. This is not the fuel filter located on the engine, therefore many places do not change it during a service. Might wanna check that out as well.
I know exactly what your talking about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
After you check the basics see if your scan tool will read rail pressure. Should be about 6k at idle and 23-24k at wot. I had a loose injector tube bleeding off rail pressure on mine. It would idle nice but no power and sometimes died. Rail pressure wouldn't go over 7k at all.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After you check the basics see if your scan tool will read rail pressure. Should be about 6k at idle and 23-24k at wot. I had a loose injector tube bleeding off rail pressure on mine. It would idle nice but no power and sometimes died. Rail pressure wouldn't go over 7k at all.
wont read pressure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts